Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
My daughter is your reverse.  In at Chicago and on hold at Harvard.  I'll pay you $5,000 to trade places with her.  No.  I didn't think you would do it.  Harvard.  Harvard.  Harvard --- as grateful and appreciative as I am to Chicago for having the good judgment to accept her right off the bat.

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »
I'm considering withdrawing from Chicago, and I'm wondering if my fellow holdees in this thread could offer any advice or reasoning to talk me out of it.  I really liked Chicago, but I don't think that I would choose it at this point.  Since I don't think I'd choose it, I don't know that it's worthwhile to languish on the hold list for several more weeks.  Here are my main reasons:

1.  Harvard's LIPP is much better than Chicago's LRAP, by all accounts, so I feel MUCH more comfortable taking on debt to go to Harvard.  This is probably the deciding factor.

2.  As great as Chicago's faculty is, so is Harvard's, so I think it's fair to say that there is no real advantage for either side here.

3.  Aside from personal attraction to the school and the potential that Chicago may be the better "fit," I'm not sure there are any major reasons for choosing Chicago over Harvard.  Even if Chicago were the better fit, I don't think this advantage outweighs the better loan forgiveness opportunities at HLS.  And this is where I'm hoping someone might have some points to bring up that I might be missing.  (For example, is the smaller class size a big advantage?)

I apologize if this post is a little annoying, but if I withdraw from Chicago, I want to make sure it's not a subconscious prestige-whoring move or a silly attempt to get back at Chicago for deferring me.  I guess I also want some confirmation that it isn't a bad idea to abandon my original favorite.
You should withdraw because i think just about anyone would pick Harvard over Chicago.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 05:06:21 PM »
I'm considering withdrawing from Chicago, and I'm wondering if my fellow holdees in this thread could offer any advice or reasoning to talk me out of it.  I really liked Chicago, but I don't think that I would choose it at this point.  Since I don't think I'd choose it, I don't know that it's worthwhile to languish on the hold list for several more weeks.  Here are my main reasons:

1.  Harvard's LIPP is much better than Chicago's LRAP, by all accounts, so I feel MUCH more comfortable taking on debt to go to Harvard.  This is probably the deciding factor.

2.  As great as Chicago's faculty is, so is Harvard's, so I think it's fair to say that there is no real advantage for either side here.

3.  Aside from personal attraction to the school and the potential that Chicago may be the better "fit," I'm not sure there are any major reasons for choosing Chicago over Harvard.  Even if Chicago were the better fit, I don't think this advantage outweighs the better loan forgiveness opportunities at HLS.  And this is where I'm hoping someone might have some points to bring up that I might be missing.  (For example, is the smaller class size a big advantage?)

I apologize if this post is a little annoying, but if I withdraw from Chicago, I want to make sure it's not a subconscious prestige-whoring move or a silly attempt to get back at Chicago for deferring me.  I guess I also want some confirmation that it isn't a bad idea to abandon my original favorite.

You should withdraw because i think just about anyone would pick Harvard over Chicago.

Well, I wouldn't if I felt Chicago would match up with my goals better than Harvard, which is why I'm asking the question.  I don't think it will, but I want to see if anyone can convince me otherwise.

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »

Well, I wouldn't if I felt Chicago would match up with my goals better than Harvard, which is why I'm asking the question.  I don't think it will, but I want to see if anyone can convince me otherwise.

Why not hang around -- what do you lose? You're not taking anybody's spot right now. If they offer you money, then a nice surprise. You have a fun decision. If they take you without money, withdraw immediately. If they don't take you, who cares? You have Harvard.

I guess it seems to me like you have a possible small advantage to staying, and no advantage to withdrawing. Even if you're trying to be unselfish. Chicago with money, after all, could compete with Harvard's LRAP.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 09:15:37 PM »

Why not hang around -- what do you lose? You're not taking anybody's spot right now. If they offer you money, then a nice surprise. You have a fun decision. If they take you without money, withdraw immediately. If they don't take you, who cares? You have Harvard.

I guess it seems to me like you have a possible small advantage to staying, and no advantage to withdrawing. Even if you're trying to be unselfish. Chicago with money, after all, could compete with Harvard's LRAP.

Well, yes, but that still leaves open the question of whether to write the additional essays, etc.  And I'd still like some info on whether money is remotely possible at this point.  Has anyone ever been held and then gotten scholarship money?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
Why don't you just write the essays?  It wouldn't take that long, and it would give you the Chicago ($) vs. Harvard option, which is quite prestigious. 

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »
Well, yes, but that still leaves open the question of whether to write the additional essays, etc.  And I'd still like some info on whether money is remotely possible at this point.  Has anyone ever been held and then gotten scholarship money?

Write the damn essay.  You only have another week to finish it.   >:(

Yeah, yeah.  You're right.  I'm just being lazy.  Damn.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2007, 09:23:10 PM »

Or maybe you know that even if you got $ from Chicago you would go to Harvard. 

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »

:-[

And there's the real dilemma.  I'm afraid I really am a prestige whore.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

:-[

And there's the real dilemma.  I'm afraid I really am a prestige whore.

That's kind of what I think, but that's not a bad thing.  You can hang out with me and CitySlick (if I get in :-\).