Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

damouse01

Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »
I didn't get that email either.  and you all could be right about the interview's purpose.  however, chicago's official stance on the matter is that they hve found things in your application that "make them want to get to know you a little more."  my impression of that is that they just want to see who you are in person, not just on paper.  it may serve as a guage to how well you would fit in at the school, handle the pressure, how well you speak on your feet, etc.

just a thought.

I think that's a good thought and certainly a large part of their motivation. But I do not think that is "just" what they want. Why not instead simply ask for a phone call? Or offer applicants the chance to interview with local alumni? Sure, there are disadvantages in both cases (e.g., the former can't verify if you're fugly as hell, and the latter isn't as directly helpful to an admissions committee). But the admissions committee is probably not oblivious to the extra time, energy, and money required to visit Chicago. It isn't far-fetched to think that the more likely one is to take up that extra effort, disregarded their capability to do so, the more they might want to attend Chicago. Most any admissions officer, (at least after a few drinks), will admit that rankings play a noticeable role in decisions, even if it is mainly for the sad reason that rankings play a huge role in applicants' decisions.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
I got the email as well, and I am definitely going to go in for the interview. Anything at this point that can show more commitment is worth doing, in my opinion. It isn't a huge financial burden for me (I can drive there in 4 hours and have friends I can stay with), but I think I'd still do it even it was going to cost me a few hundred dollars. Being that I like Chicago more than the schools I've already been accepted to, it is worth it. If, by chance, I were to get into Harvard or Stanford in the next few weeks, I'd consider cancelling that interview...

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
If they ask me to come interview I'm probably out. I don't have any vacation time left at work. Do they do interviews on Sat/Sunday?

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 12:34:54 PM »
I'm considering withdrawing from Chicago, and I'm wondering if my fellow holdees in this thread could offer any advice or reasoning to talk me out of it.  I really liked Chicago, but I don't think that I would choose it at this point.  Since I don't think I'd choose it, I don't know that it's worthwhile to languish on the hold list for several more weeks.  Here are my main reasons:

1.  Harvard's LIPP is much better than Chicago's LRAP, by all accounts, so I feel MUCH more comfortable taking on debt to go to Harvard.  This is probably the deciding factor.

2.  As great as Chicago's faculty is, so is Harvard's, so I think it's fair to say that there is no real advantage for either side here.

3.  Aside from personal attraction to the school and the potential that Chicago may be the better "fit," I'm not sure there are any major reasons for choosing Chicago over Harvard.  Even if Chicago were the better fit, I don't think this advantage outweighs the better loan forgiveness opportunities at HLS.  And this is where I'm hoping someone might have some points to bring up that I might be missing.  (For example, is the smaller class size a big advantage?)

I apologize if this post is a little annoying, but if I withdraw from Chicago, I want to make sure it's not a subconscious prestige-whoring move or a silly attempt to get back at Chicago for deferring me.  I guess I also want some confirmation that it isn't a bad idea to abandon my original favorite.

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »
I'm considering withdrawing from Chicago, and I'm wondering if my fellow holdees in this thread could offer any advice or reasoning to talk me out of it.  I really liked Chicago, but I don't think that I would choose it at this point.  Since I don't think I'd choose it, I don't know that it's worthwhile to languish on the hold list for several more weeks.  Here are my main reasons:

1.  Harvard's LIPP is much better than Chicago's LRAP, by all accounts, so I feel MUCH more comfortable taking on debt to go to Harvard.  This is probably the deciding factor.

2.  As great as Chicago's faculty is, so is Harvard's, so I think it's fair to say that there is no real advantage for either side here.

3.  Aside from personal attraction to the school and the potential that Chicago may be the better "fit," I'm not sure there are any major reasons for choosing Chicago over Harvard.  Even if Chicago were the better fit, I don't think this advantage outweighs the better loan forgiveness opportunities at HLS.  And this is where I'm hoping someone might have some points to bring up that I might be missing.  (For example, is the smaller class size a big advantage?)

I apologize if this post is a little annoying, but if I withdraw from Chicago, I want to make sure it's not a subconscious prestige-whoring move or a silly attempt to get back at Chicago for deferring me.  I guess I also want some confirmation that it isn't a bad idea to abandon my original favorite.

As much as I love chicago, given the reasons you articulated, I see no real reason for you to stay on the hold list. Good luck either way.

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

As much as I love chicago, given the reasons you articulated, I see no real reason for you to stay on the hold list. Good luck either way.

titcr...good luck Brito!

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
Thanks, carthage and MCB!  I would have chosen Chicago with $ over Harvard, probably, but I guess I might be in that awkward position in which I'm good enough to cause yield concerns, but not good enough to be worth buying.  Which doesn't offend me.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
As someone who is drooling over the spot that you are likely to be offered, I would love it if you withdrew ;).  But in all honesty, I think if you are interested in academics or in clerking, you should at least tough it out in the "hold"ing cell with the rest of us.  You have nothing to loose except for a few handfuls of hair.  You at least owe it to yourself to wait and see if you can get a few dollars out of them.  Unless you want to do biglaw work directly out of school (which I'm doubting from your interest in the LRAP and LIPP), then Chicago might be a better match for you and worth the inconvenience of having to wait (imagine the world's tiniest violin playing just for you when I say that last part).

I'm thinking money is out of the question with Chicago now, though, and I have my doubts about whether Chicago has a significant advantage over HLS for academia or clerkships.  And if there are slightly better opportunities in these areas for Chicago, I think they would be offset by HLS's LIPP, which would allow me to pursue those avenues more freely. 

I probably will do biglaw work, but my main concern is to keep my options open as much as possible.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »
I would suggest a letter to Chicago that goes something like:

Dear Chicago

I got into Harvard.  I know you "held" me, but I'm calling your bluff.  Let me in, give me some money, and I will come to your school and tell Harvard to take its crimson earmuffs and stuff them. 

~Brito

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 02:06:46 PM »
I would suggest a letter to Chicago that goes something like:

Dear Chicago

I got into Harvard.  I know you "held" me, but I'm calling your bluff.  Let me in, give me some money, and I will come to your school and tell Harvard to take its crimson earmuffs and stuff them. 

~Brito

Haha!  Well, I have nothing to lose.   :P