Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 09:53:45 PM »
Does anyone know if the additional essay can be sent electronically?  Or does it have to be a hard copy?  I'm living in Asia and I'm worried that a hard copy won't be there by the 19th!

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »
Does anyone know if the additional essay can be sent electronically?  Or does it have to be a hard copy?  I'm living in Asia and I'm worried that a hard copy won't be there by the 19th!

Express mail should do.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
So, I received my "hold" letter about a week ago. This morning I received an email from Chicago inviting me to schedule an interview with someone from the admissions committee. Anybody else get this?

I did, also. 

ipso facto

• Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »
I got the interview email as well. I am definetly going. Did all the holds get the interview email? I got my hold in the first batch of decisions.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »
So, I received my "hold" letter about a week ago. This morning I received an email from Chicago inviting me to schedule an interview with someone from the admissions committee. Anybody else get this?

I did, also. 

So, are you gonna go? I'm not sure I have the time or money to travel to Chicago for an interview.

I don't think I will have the money, since it looks like my mom and I are going to take a minibreak to Boston in March.  I'm still a little torn about how to deal with Chicago, though.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »

I did, also. 

So, are you gonna go? I'm not sure I have the time or money to travel to Chicago for an interview.

I don't think I will have the money, since it looks like my mom and I are going to take a minibreak to Boston in March.  I'm still a little torn about how to deal with Chicago, though.

I'm a little torn as well. While an acceptance from Chicago would be nice, I'm really excited about my other options at this point. I'd rather use my limited funds to visit a school I've already been accepted to, than travel to interview at a place that still may not accept me.

Exactly.  It kind of reminds me of the time this ex of mine tried to get me to come visit him...

well eggy

• Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 11:04:39 AM »

I did, also. 

I'm a little torn as well. While an acceptance from Chicago would be nice, I'm really excited about my other options at this point. I'd rather use my limited funds to visit a school I've already been accepted to, than travel to interview at a place that still may not accept me.

To paraphrase MindTheGap's advice from another thread or a while ago:

A request for an interview is Chicago gauging your interest/protecting their yield.  Those who get the requests usually are numbers-qualified to get into others of CCN, or HYS.

I did not get the interview request email.  I was held the same time as Brito, but have -2ish LSAT and -.3ish GPA compared to her.  I take all this to mean that they're pretty sure, if they let me in, that I'll seriously consider going.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:25 AM »
To paraphrase MindTheGap's advice from another thread or a while ago:

A request for an interview is Chicago gauging your interest/protecting their yield.  Those who get the requests usually are numbers-qualified to get into others of CCN, or HYS.

I did not get the interview request email.  I was held the same time as Brito, but have -2ish LSAT and -.3ish GPA compared to her.  I take all this to mean that they're pretty sure, if they let me in, that I'll seriously consider going.
[/quote]

I think this might be a good assessment, based on what people have said from past cycles.  I, too, did not get the email this morning and have slightly lower LSAT/GPA numbers. 

Other Chicago holds, did you or did you not get the email?  Are your numbers in line with our entirely unscientific theory?  Let's get some input.

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »
Did not get the email. I am thinking it is a YP measure cause most of the ppl who got it have other amazing schools under their belt.

pea27

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
I didn't get that email either.  and you all could be right about the interview's purpose.  however, chicago's official stance on the matter is that they hve found things in your application that "make them want to get to know you a little more."  my impression of that is that they just want to see who you are in person, not just on paper.  it may serve as a guage to how well you would fit in at the school, handle the pressure, how well you speak on your feet, etc.

just a thought.