Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:53 PM »
Hold in the 2/23 category. I did write one of the essays, and was waitlisted (dated 4/20) and offered a chance to be considered for a guaranteed spot in the Class of 2011 (they would let me know by May 25th; though I am assume everybody who is waitlisted is offered this; you can ask for this and even if you don't get a spot, you can still be on the waitlist).  They suggested sending another writing sample. I would love to go to uChicago, I have nothing to lose. Now which of the two remaining topics to choose. By the looks of LSN, none of the 2/23 deferred group was admitted. All were WL or rejected from what I've looked through.

That makes me feel a little bit better...anyone else get flat out rejected?

« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2007, 08:28:52 AM »
Was anyone else dinged who wrote on one of the essay topics? Even though I knew I was out of their range, the fact that I had written an extra essay made the ding more painful because it made me feel like my essay must have just sucked. Plus their rejection letter is quite frank and not all that nice. No sugar coating here.

Definitely hear you on that one.  It was, how to say, Stalin-esquely blunt.  Not to mention a bit on the smug side  ::)

pea27

« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
i was in the held 2/2 group and got waitlisted as well.  is anyone else applying for deferred admission? i definitely am, chicago is by far my top choice!

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
i just checked lsn and there seems to be no one who were deferred and got in after 05/01. should i give up my hope?

I know for a fact that people got in off the WL over the summer last year.

jamas

• Two-Fisted Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
Sigh....

I'm in the 3/30 hold category, and decided to just let my application stand as is. I'm out of college, so I can't update my transcript or get another useful recommendation. I kicked around a bunch of drafts for one of the supplemental essays this week, but I wasn't really comfortable with any of them; I thought they were all weaker than my personal statement. Since they wouldn't have improved my application I didn't send any of them in.

I know the letter emphasizes that the supplements are optional, but I still get the feeling they're really not. C'est la vie.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2007, 10:10:16 PM »
Sigh....

I'm in the 3/30 hold category, and decided to just let my application stand as is. I'm out of college, so I can't update my transcript or get another useful recommendation. I kicked around a bunch of drafts for one of the supplemental essays this week, but I wasn't really comfortable with any of them; I thought they were all weaker than my personal statement. Since they wouldn't have improved my application I didn't send any of them in.

I know the letter emphasizes that the supplements are optional, but I still get the feeling they're really not. C'est la vie.

Almost certainly correct.