Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

keelee

• View Profile
Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
I've only heard good things about the city.  The recurring negative is COLD.  Aside from that, it's all been unicorns and gumdrops &cetera.

Is it colder than New York, or about the same? Anyone care to comment about that?

Yes it is colder than New York. It's not on the coast, there is the lake effect, and it is much winder. Make no mistake: Weather in Chicago absolutley sucks.. I have never lived in a city with more depressing weather. It can feel like -20 degrees in February, it snows too much, I hate fall, and during the summer it can get up to 110 degrees. I seriously don't understand how people tolerate Chicago weather, but I also grew up in southern California and South Florida.

This winter was unusually nice, 50s throughout December and January. And then...BOOM!...it was so cold in February that there were warnings not to go outside because of frostbite. It is April and it flurried on Wednedsay!

To be fair, the weather during September-October and April-May is usually very nice. Though that is only 4 months out of 12. I'm also biased because I hate cold weather, but I don't like hot weather either. Perfect weather to me is 65 degrees.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »
I've only heard good things about the city.  The recurring negative is COLD.  Aside from that, it's all been unicorns and gumdrops &cetera.

Is it colder than New York, or about the same? Anyone care to comment about that?

Yes it is colder than New York. It's not on the coast, there is the lake effect, and it is much winder. Make no mistake: Weather in Chicago absolutley sucks.. I have never lived in a city with more depressing weather. It can feel like -20 degrees in February, it snows too much, I hate fall, and during the summer it can get up to 110 degrees. I seriously don't understand how people tolerate Chicago weather, but I also grew up in southern California and South Florida.

This winter was unusually nice, 50s throughout December and January. And then...BOOM!...it was so cold in February that there were warnings not to go outside because of frostbite. It is April and it flurried on Wednedsay!

To be fair, the weather during September-October and April-May is usually very nice. Though that is only 4 months out of 12. I'm also biased because I hate cold weather, but I don't like hot weather either. Perfect weather to me is 65 degrees.

Basically, Fall and Spring quarter are really nice. Winter quarter can suck (last year it was fine, this year it was awful). I think winter was especially bad across the country this year; you may think it is crazy to have flurries in April, but in Texas yesterday it was in the 30s and THUNDERSLEETING! Texas should be in the high 70s/low 80s by this time of year.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2007, 11:30:37 AM »
I blame global warming.

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
Basically, Fall and Spring quarter are really nice. Winter quarter can suck (last year it was fine, this year it was awful). I think winter was especially bad across the country this year; you may think it is crazy to have flurries in April, but in Texas yesterday it was in the 30s and THUNDERSLEETING! Texas should be in the high 70s/low 80s by this time of year.

It's been nice where I'm at recently, with temperatures in the 60s and 70s.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »

You west of the Rockies then? I read somewhere today that everything east of the Rockies is having below-average temperatures.

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »
You west of the Rockies then? I read somewhere today that everything east of the Rockies is having below-average temperatures.

Yeah, somewhere out in the Wild West.

*Robs bank*

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »

Yup. It was in the 50s in Miami a few days ago!

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »

Yup. It was in the 50s in Miami a few days ago!

50s isn't bad. I can dig 50s.

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2007, 12:04:36 PM »
Any more phone calls?

hmm

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »
Any more phone calls?

I emailed recently to find out about the status of my application. The response I got implied that there probably won't be any more offers until after 5/1.