Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Chicago

pea27

Re: "Hold" at Chicago
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »
when do you think they'll make final decisions on applicants "on hold?"  i hate how this whole application process is dragging on for months...

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »
I'm on hold too.

Any more info. re: the lettter they sent? Mine was sent to my home address and I was so nauseated by the idea that I asked my mother not to read the whole thing.

(Just curious).

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »
I just wonder if this is worth the effort or not.  Does anyone know how many holds go on to be accepted normally?  I figure if they really wanted me they would have accepted me straight out.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
I just wonder if this is worth the effort or not.  Does anyone know how many holds go on to be accepted normally?  I figure if they really wanted me they would have accepted me straight out.

I know literally nothing about how many they end up accepting, but I am definitely feeling the same way as you are.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »
I'm on hold at Chicago, too.
what? are they insane? what's with all the holds this season.

It brightens my heart just a little each time someone is surprised about my hold.  :)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
when do you think they'll make final decisions on applicants "on hold?"  i hate how this whole application process is dragging on for months...

The fact that the hold letter explicitly requires that additional materials be received by February 19th would seem to indicate that they are planning to begin re-reviewing held applicants around that time.  Perhaps that's when we should expect to start seeing some decisions trickling in on held applicants?  Oh who knows.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
I'm scared to check the mail.  ???

well eggy

• Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »

The fact that the hold letter explicitly requires that additional materials be received by February 19th would seem to indicate that they are planning to begin re-reviewing held applicants around that time.  Perhaps that's when we should expect to start seeing some decisions trickling in on held applicants?  Oh who knows.

Mine's a different date.  I think it's just a month after the date of your hold letter.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
Yeah mine is dated for March 2nd.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »
mine is March 2 as well.  So i guess that means the Hold's get re-reviewed about a month later (not all at once). 

This seems like a deferral more than anything.  I'm taking it as a positive sign.  Something about our applications made them choose not to outright reject us.  I also like that they propose essay topics instead of requesting the generic "diversity statement" or "Why I want to attend Chicago" essay.  It probably helps them sift through those really interested and willing to make the effort of writing an additional essay with those who have generic essays already on hand.  Anyway it's good the know the calibar of people with me in the "Hold" category, good luck to everyone!