Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you feel about Online Degrees?  (Read 920 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
How do you feel about Online Degrees?
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
Most of us spent 4 years physically ON the campus of our respective undergraduate institutions. What do you feel about people earning degrees without ever sitting in a classroom, or visiting a campus?

What do you think about for-profit "Universities" like UofPh?

Here is the inspiration for this thread.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about Online Degrees?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
I strongly dislike both of those concepts, btw.
VIP.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:04 AM »
I took three classes online during my undergraduate years (through my regular university). They were pretty easy, although you did have to do "group projects" and that involved emailing back and forth, which was a hassle sometimes. Some of the mhad timed exams, some had open book exams - It was interesting. Overall, I prefer the classrooom but these classes were nice for me because I was able to squeeze in a few extra credits while not giving up my full time job.

As for those "for profit" universities like University of Phoenix, I personally think they are pretty much BS. My husband was recently working with this lady from his work on a project. She was promoted to project manager because she had gotten a masters degree online with a specialization in Project Management. She is literally the most incompetent project manager ever. I don't think she could manage her way out of a paper bag.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
Most of us spent 4 years physically ON the campus of our respective undergraduate institutions. What do you feel about people earning degrees without ever sitting in a classroom, or visiting a campus?

In answer to both of your questions...

I'm for online degrees.  There are plenty of people who are unable to get to a full-time, on-campus degree program, so online may be the only way to go if they want to get a degree.  In fact there are a number of legitmate "brick and mortar" schools that are running online degrees, or degree programs where the majority of the courses are online with a minimal residency portion.  

Of course it'll almost be impossible to teach courses such as a Chemistry Lab online, but there still is a lot that can be accomplished.  

Online courses are evolving with technology so that students can still get a classroom experience by interacting with people via chat boards, IM, etc.  In fact, sometimes it's better in that a teacher can track class participation by seeing the number and quality of posts a student makes, something that's extremely difficult in a traditional classroom.  They're also making advance in testing software to eliminate cheating, and in terms of essays, papers, and take home exams, they face the same delimmas a traditional class faces.

I've taken several online classes, and I've loved them more than some traditional classes.  Since I wasn't confined to showing up at a particular time, I was able to log on and participate in the "classroom" when I was most alert and energized, regardless of time of day.  

I'm not a huge fan of UoPh and for-profit institutions.  They may come around, but right now they're just too young, and have a rep for almost giving away degrees.  I have no idea of the quality of their classes, but at the same time I do know plenty of incompentent morons who have graduated from some awfully prestijuz universities.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »

I'm not for online degrees. Too often people confuse learning with education. The most valuable parts of my college education had nothing to do with what I learned in the classroom.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »

I'm not for online degrees. Too often people confuse learning with education. The most valuable parts of my college education had nothing to do with what I learned in the classroom.

I will admit that I got a great deal of "education" outside of the classroom during UG.  However, already having been there, done that, taking online classes now I can actually focus on just learning the material.

And for a non-trad who maybe went to work right out of HS, already has a kid or two, they don't necessarily need a full-time, on campus UG experience to learn how to juggle multiple competeing priorities and learn time management. 

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »

I will admit that I got a great deal of "education" outside of the classroom during UG.  However, already having been there, done that, taking online classes now I can actually focus on just learning the material.

And for a non-trad who maybe went to work right out of HS, already has a kid or two, they don't necessarily need a full-time, on campus UG experience to learn how to juggle multiple competeing priorities and learn time management. 

Oh, I certainly agree; I think it's a fantastic alternative option when mitigating circumstances prevail. However, the article seemed to be saying that the education you receive from an online course is equal to or even superior to that of an on-campus education, which I have objected to. Given the choice between online and on-campus, I would think that when possible, you must go on-campus.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:27:32 AM »
Aw, see, I didn't read the article!

If I've got a local community college offering night courses towards an a degree vs. UoPh -- I'll take the community college.

If there's no commnity college because I'm deployed overseas, I'll probably go with an online degree; skipping over UofPh and looking for a degree linked to a traditional school.  If there's no traditional school, at least I'll look for lesser known online degree that sparks people to ask "You went where?" vs. "You went there!".

On a related note..I think it's marketing GENIUS that UofPh paid for the rights to the Cardinals Stadium, naming it "University of Phoenix Stadium".  How many people do you think now believe that UoPh has ties to a brick and mortar school?  After all, it does have a stadium!

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
On a related note..I think it's marketing GENIUS that UofPh paid for the rights to the Cardinals Stadium, naming it "University of Phoenix Stadium".  How many people do you think now believe that UoPh has ties to a brick and mortar school?  After all, it does have a stadium!

Actually, it IS pretty brilliant. Although, they DO own (pwn?) a brick and mortar school as well.

The company owns and operates four higher-learning institutions: the University of Phoenix, Western International University, Axia College (of the University of Phoenix), the College for Financial Planning, and the Institute for Professional Development. As of November 2005, the combined enrollment of the four was approximately 315,350 students. Of these, nearly 90% attend the University of Phoenix, which Apollo describes as "the nationís largest regionally accredited private university" [1].

Western International University is their for-profit, brick-and-mortar subsidiary. UofPh, also operates some classrooms as well, for students who live nearby.
VIP.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
I don't have any positive feelings about for-profit universities. Most people are probably in driving distance from a community college and a 4-year commuter school that probably offer a good combination of evening classes and online classes to make getting the degree as accessible as possible. You're also going to have better qualified instructors/professors within a state university system than you'll have at a for-profit institution. Degrees from those schools will be recognized everywhere, while many for-profit degrees/credits are accredited by less-reputable agencies and will not be accepted for transfer at many brick-and-mortar institutions.