Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PENN 1L  (Read 6028 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PENN 1L
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »
This is my last post on the CLS-Penn subject, but for the record:

I didn't say Penn was "better."  In fact, I said CLS was more prestigious--and if that's your primary criterion, as it is for many applicants, then it's the "better" choice.

However, if an applicant wishes to consider other, subjective factors, such as the "feel" of the school, then he or she should visit the school and talk to the administrators and the faculty, as well as current students.  All three groups help create the atmosphere of the school.  If I had to do it over again, I would have applied to, and visited, more schools so that I would have a greater number of places to compare (which is not to say I don't love Penn--I do--I just wish I would have given myself more options, including one in a warmer city!).

My point is that CLS and Penn have very different atmospheres, and different applicants might prefer one over the other to the point that they'd be willing to compromise on prestige--this goes for any set of schools, really.  Moreover, most of the issues I mentioned can cut either way: I indicated that CLS profs had stronger scholarship, while Penn profs seem more humble (obviously, this is subjective, but I've had significant contact with both).  An applicant could easily prefer the stronger scholarship.  Likewise the building differences--JG was designed to be like a law firm, and Penn is more like a high school.  It would be hard to say which of those designs is "better" for the entire student body.

I'll respond to any other CLS questions via PM, and am happy to answer any questions about Penn here.

I am officially a law school graduate : )

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »
I think the contention that Penn spreads rumors about how bad other schools are is a bit absurd. Penn does have a bit to brag about, quality of life wise. One study shows that Penn ranks #3 in a survey asking graduates "if they did again, would they have gone back to XXX School?" I think that's pretty impressive, and I have not yet a single person who regretted choosing Penn over higher ranked schools (including people who chose it over Harvard, Columbia, and Stanford).

Of course, for every person happy for choosing Penn there is probably another person happy for choosing Columbia over Penn. Law schools, especially at the top tier, are very a like and while student bodies do different so do administrations, law school will in large part be what you make out of it. At either school, I'm sure there is amble opportunity to get involved - though involved in what could be the question. At either school, I'm sure there's an opportunity to make friends with similar interests and find people that you like. I've never been a student at CLS so I can't speak to the student atmosphere, but as someone who knows LegApp in real life, I think andyb_CLS should accept that she has ample experience with the law school to know how it works and felt, in her opinion. This includes having taken classes there.

Anyways, can't we all just get along?

Penn Law '09

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »
WOW i cant believe what I started.

1. When presentd with the choice of saying YES to Columbia post being waitlisted, I chose Penn. Thats not a lie. I didnt feel it necessary to get into the details- have a look at LSN, its the truth. I can NOT tell you how not the type I am to worry what people think of my acceptance record... i have nothing to hide. I apologize if it seemed i was lying aobut my record- i simply wasnt.

2. I never ever ever said CLS was a bad school or less presitigous than Penn. I have no way of knowing that, and i dont think that. I DID say that there is an atmosphere at Penn that is different than CLS' reputation- and i conceded from the start that having never attended CLS i cant really talk with any authority over what its like there. I CAN tell you that I have many friends there, in all three years, and not one of them enjoys it, and all but one of them told me- when i was on the CLS waitlist- that if IM OK with leaving NYC, I should 100% take Harv or Penn over CLS.

3. This is all based on a very very generous legal market. Right now, the firms are hiring in an insane manner from ALL top schools and are paying incredibly well to boot. In a world where getting the $160,000 firm job in NYC was a lil harder, maybe Columbia's 3 ranking points higher of prestige would matter... I dont deny the discrepenacy in Penn and Columbia's prestige factor, ESP in New York where the hiring partners of every firm include a few CLS grads. But in todays market, do I think the CLS folks are getting "better jobs" than the Penn kids? Absolutely not. And I would argue that the atmosphere at Penn makes it easier for certain types- the more laid back types- to do well. Can I prove that? No. But I will agree with LegApp and point to everything said there as good examples.

(though Dean Kobrin is a sweetheart and I hate to see people beating up on her... then again, Gary Clinton is THE MAN...)

4. IF youre choosing between CLS and Penn (pre waitlist, post wait list, whatever) weigh the NYC factor for sure. Weigh the possibility that the law market will CRASH and getting a job will be that much harder such that the B+ from CLS suddenly outweighs the B+ from Penn. Whatever. I can only report that there is a GENUINELY WARMER feeling here than I have experienced elsewhere, the professors are top notch and for the most part down to earth, the building and facilities are great, the students are diverese and 85% non-gunner in any way shape or form... basically what i said at the outset. I didnt mean to offend anyone from CLS, and I thought I made it clear I was only re-spewing the reputations of other schools as reported to me.

(Though the responses from many have at the least confirmed those reputations...)

if anyone has any QUESTIONS about life at Penn please feel free to PM me or keep asking, but im done engaging in a pissing contest over CLS v Penn v the rest. I said from the beginning- to each their own.
NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

CLS1L

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »
WOW i cant believe what I started.

Yeah, neither can I.

For the record, Penn's a fine school (not that I have to say so).  I'm still annoyed that they waitlisted me though.

[/hijack]

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2007, 08:10:45 AM »
Just admitted to Penn this week, and I'm super excited!  Too bad I can't make the ASW...
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
Just admitted to Penn this week, and I'm super excited!  Too bad I can't make the ASW...

Congrats!! I couldn't attend the ASW last year either, so it is not the end of the world. Penn will help you arrange a visit whenever and you're going to find you love it here  ;).
Penn Law '09

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »
Tag!  I'm super excited about Penn... I'm a little worried I hallucinated the call.  :)
UPenn '10

pixiepie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
And I thought this was going to be 5 pages about Penn...  :D

sentimentalhygienist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
Tag.

In at Penn too! 

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2007, 12:03:38 PM »
Tag.

In at Penn too! 

I think I just saw your profile on LSN.  Congrats!  Are you going to the ASW?
UPenn '10