Law School Discussion

Invited scholarship applications

Stuart

• View Profile
Invited scholarship applications
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »
Hello all,

I have a question regarding schools that accept you, and then send you another letter telling you you've been chosen to be invited to apply for a scholarship. Is this a legit competition, where some people who apply for it don't get it, or are they just trying to gauge (yes! Aha! Ahahahaha! I spelled it right!) your interest?

In particular, my situation is as follows. I was accepted by a school in my low target / high safety range, but was also accepted by a school in my high reach range. At this point, I'm not seriously considering school A, and they just asked me to apply for a scholarship. If I got full tuition, I'd consider them again, and maybe even visit them, but they might still not have more than say a 20% chance to overcome school B. If I applied for the scholarship, got it, and didn't end up going, would I be taking money from somebody who really wants to go and could have used it? Or would they tend to give scholarships to everybody they invite, and just expect some percentage to turn them down?

I'm leaving out the name of the school for reasons I hope are obvious, :-), but I can share it if it's important to the answer.

Thank you very much!
Stuart