Law School Discussion

Law and Black people

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Law and Black people
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »

I agree...I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "adjusting the current racial status quo."  You're saying this racial status quo can't change unless the government is allowed to make policies taking race into consideration.  To me that says, blacks need the government in order to improve themselves as a group.   

WTF? The government has put blacks in a lower position than they would be had Reconstruction been implemented in the way that it should, now you want to condescend blacks for looking to the government to right that wrong?

The standard you're setting for ideal black performance now and for what the government needs to do to compensate for its disastrous execution of Reconstruction places a tremendous burden both on the black population and on the government, and I would say it's damn near impossible for either to reach that standard with any sort of immediacy.  It's a process that needs active cooperation from both camps, cooperation neither side seems to be pursuing too fiercely given the amount of distruct and contempt each has directed at the other.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 10:34:52 AM »

The standard you're setting for ideal black performance now and for what the government needs to do to compensate for its disastrous execution of Reconstruction places a tremendous burden both on the black population and on the government, and I would say it's damn near impossible for either to reach that standard with any sort of immediacy.  It's a process that needs active cooperation from both camps, cooperation neither side seems to be pursuing too fiercely given the amount of distruct and contempt each has directed at the other.

I don't think I said anything about immediacy. The only point I was making is that the government will have to play a role in the improvement of the African American plight.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »
You seem to be assuming that the government is capable of fixing a particular problem simply because the government created that problem.  I'm not sure that is a warranted assumption to make. 

Fixing? no. Improving? yes.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »
You seem to be assuming that the government is capable of fixing a particular problem simply because the government created that problem.  I'm not sure that is a warranted assumption to make. 

Fixing? no. Improving? yes.

If you really think so...

All I'm saying is don't pin your hopes on the government.  That which gives can just as easily take away. 

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »

I don't think I said anything about immediacy. The only point I was making is that the government will have to play a role in the improvement of the African American plight.

Agreed.  What kind of a role do you think they should play?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »

All I'm saying is don't pin your hopes on the government.  That which gives can just as easily take away. 

Don't worry; I won't.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
I shall return later (after the SB), after I read. Until then peace.

take that take that take that... dances away

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »

stop messing up all these scholarly/fully researched/opinionated statements with little details like rational thought and sound argument supported by facts...thanks

sorry man.  bad habit :D

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 10:44:20 AM »

stop messing up all these scholarly/fully researched/opinionated statements with little details like rational thought and sound argument supported by facts...thanks

sorry man.  bad habit :D

Your facts are getting in the way of his truth.  You should be ashamed.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:30 AM »

I agree...I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "adjusting the current racial status quo."  You're saying this racial status quo can't change unless the government is allowed to make policies taking race into consideration.  To me that says, blacks need the government in order to improve themselves as a group.   

WTF? The government has put blacks in a lower position than they would be had Reconstruction been implemented in the way that it should, now you want to condescend blacks for looking to the government to right that wrong?

Absolutely. That's exactly what I'm saying.  This is a two part problem.  (1) The Black Community has got to stand the f*ck up and cut the bullsh!t.  (2) The United States Government (and all of its subsidiaries) needs to finish what it started by continuing to correct the unequal playing field that it created.  Both are necessary to address the race problem in this country.