Law School Discussion

Acceptances/Dings for NonTrads 2006-7?

Acceptances/Dings for NonTrads 2006-7?
« on: February 03, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
I know ther is a seperate board for acceptances, WL, dings, etc...But would it be of any help to start this kind of thread for the non-trads?  We could list the perceived relevance of 'soft' factors, background, work experience and such.  If anyone is interested then let me know and post the good, bad, or ugly news....

-AZ ERMD

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Acceptances/Dings for NonTrads 2006-7?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »
I think it's a great idea.

I'm 8/8 on my apps, and both Northwestern and UCLA have made remarks about my resume (I assume they meant my work experience/volunteer involvement).

I feel that soft factors made a huge difference in my acceptances and the speedy turn-around for all my decisions, however scholarships are differnt.

govoryu po russki?....

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »
i'm a non-trad

lsn link in sig.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
OK, if we are gonna do this thread, then:

15 apps.  3 responses.

The Good:  In at Denver.

The Bad: Dinged at Minnesota

The indifferent: WL at Vandy

My daily trip to the mailbox is now an adventure........

I strongly believe my background helped alot at Denver, work experience and all that jazz.  As for the rest, I will have to keep you posted.  As far as MN, well, its too damn cold anyway.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 08:45:50 AM »

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »

govoryu po russki?....

Eshe kak!  :D  Do you?

Nemnogo...ya mnogo zabil

Poshli mne PM esli hochesh' pogovorit'.

/sorry about the hijack, guys!

ya budy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
My acceptances/rejections thus far are all in my sig.  I got a really nice note from the Dean at IU-B talking about the work I've been doing, and how much he respects it.  It really made my day.

Otherwise, I don't really know why I've been accepted or received scholarships at my schools (but I'm not going to complain about it  :P )

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »
WE (or, entrepreneurship, specifically) helped me tremendously at both Northwestern and Michigan.

G. Coop--I am curious how you know that your WE helped at Mich and Northwestern. I got into these schools as well, with numbers close to or just below the median, but have no real clue about what got me in. Did anyone mention this in an email/letter?

For the record: I am a nontrad in at: Michigan, Northwestern, WUSTL, UIUC($$) and IU-B($)

////

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »
I'm borderline non-trad. Married (no kids), worked for 4 years after UG (3 towards a career). Lived internationally for a year.

My PS was about my life experiences after UG and how I feel like I am now "ready" for law school, while I wasn't previously.

I'm deciding between CLS and NYU. Both seem to have lots of people w/ at least a year of work experience, so I don't think I'll be the odd man out. 

rugercaptain

• Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
I know ther is a seperate board for acceptances, WL, dings, etc...But would it be of any help to start this kind of thread for the non-trads?  We could list the perceived relevance of 'soft' factors, background, work experience and such.

I'm taking the LSAT this Saturday and will post my result as soon as I get it (3/5 at 1000 hours, according to LSAC).  The rest of my story is here:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rugercaptain

I'm thinking a nineteen-year fire service career that includes three promotions, a successful grant writing record (+$400K from DHS/FEMA), and a non-traditional leadership position (for a woman) has got to be worth something as a soft factor.  I believe my three LORs are helpful, too, especially the one in which my recommender wrote about our battalion's response to a suspected bomb incident.  Finally, in my PS I compared my preparation for law school to my preparation for deer hunting.  Thought I would continue the "non-trad" theme throughout the application--age, career choice and favorite recreational activity.   ;)    

If I can score well on the LSAT maybe UM will throw me a bone.

rugercaptain