Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern  (Read 1268 times)

dylan4201

• View Profile
Northeastern
« on: September 09, 2004, 10:33:47 AM »
My top choice is Northeastern University in Boston. This is not a "can I get in question," but rather I'm looking to connect with people who have some knowledge of Northeastern and their admissions procedures.

I went to a good liberal arts school where I had a 2.8 (3.2 in my major of political science) gpa. I will have two stellar recs (one from our college president and one from a distinguished faculty member). I have been hitting between a 156-159 on my lsat practice tests. I know that the median lsat for Northeastern is 160, which I will be close to, if not above, but unfortunately my gpa puts me below their 25th percentile.

My questions are a few:

First of all, should I make reference to the fact that my low gpa is a result of taking classes that I shouldn't have even been in in the first place, and that my 3.2 in my major is more representative of my academic abilities, or just take my chances?

My second question is, do you think that knowing my situation it may be beneficial to postpone until December when I can hopefully solidify an improved lsat around their 75th or above range to compensate for my low gpa?

Third, is anyone familiar with their early notification program? I know it's where I want to go, but to be considered for it, I would have to take the October exam, and then I run the risk of only having a so/so lsat that doesn’t make up for the gpa, do you think it is worth the risk if I know its where I want to go?

SNUGGLE

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get some, get some!
    • View Profile
Re: Northeastern
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:03:17 PM »
3.2 isn't much to brag about either in your major so SNUGGLE suspect it would be best to not draw any more attention to it.  DOWNY would recommend Cooley for your situation, but SNUGGLE doesn't want to dump on your dreams too much until after you've had a chance at the LSAT.
You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

clicquot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:39:39 AM »
My recommendation is to wait to take the LSAT until December if you think your score will improve. Northeastern is a difficult school to get into. I was waitlisted there last year. Recommendations are great, but not determinative of acceptance. I had a friend that received a recommendation from a Massachusetts senator and was not accepted at any law school in Boston. Since you don't have a strong GPA, I would focus on improving your LSAT score and writing a kick ass personal statement.
No one likes a cry baby!

rcunio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:09:09 PM »
Clicquot,

Do you mind revealing your numbers?  I'm applying to N'eastern this cycle and was trying to determine my chances for admission.

3.39/December LSAT-diagnostics between 157-162