Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: help me out with these NYC area choices:  (Read 1355 times)

scolomon

help me out with these NYC area choices:
« on: March 02, 2004, 12:25:32 AM »
Ok So far I have gotten into Seton hall, Hofstra (w/honors scholarship), ny law and syracuse.  I have been waitlisted at st johns  and i havent heard from brooklyn yet (though i suspect i will be rejected). 
My goal is to get a highly paid job (100,000 Gs or more) in NYC and to specialize in either International law or Sports/Entertainment law.
I want to be in the nyc area so i am def not leaning toward syracuse.  And the money at hofstra is really appealing.
What do you think?  Do you think St johns is significantly better than the other schools I got into? I am not really too fond of NY law right now too, any opinions?
Thanks!

Victor

Re: help me out with these NYC area choices:
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 09:46:14 PM »
Ok So far I have gotten into Seton hall, Hofstra (w/honors scholarship), ny law and syracuse.  I have been waitlisted at st johns  and i havent heard from brooklyn yet (though i suspect i will be rejected). 
My goal is to get a highly paid job (100,000 Gs or more) in NYC and to specialize in either International law or Sports/Entertainment law.
I want to be in the nyc area so i am def not leaning toward syracuse.  And the money at hofstra is really appealing.
What do you think?  Do you think St johns is significantly better than the other schools I got into? I am not really too fond of NY law right now too, any opinions?
Thanks!

What are your numbers ?

wemdomer04

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 11:24:21 PM »
its called go to NYU or Columbia...

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:38:32 PM »
Honestly, you WOULD have been better off if you could have gone to NYU or Columbia (and not just because of their rankings, either, but because both are tops in NY and in general for sports/entertainment law and tops period for international law, plus would almost guarantee you that $100,000 a year)...umm...but some of us realize that not everyone can nor wants to go to those schools.

So...in light of that...and to actually have someone answer your question...I don't know anything about St. John's except it's ranked higher than the other schools. But I'm thinking that, to have the best shot at $100,000 after law school, especially to practice entertainment/sports law, you need to go to the best law school you get into and make the best grades you can. I've been told numerous times that employers care about law school rankings and class rank...and I've been told numerous times that this is even more true for entertainment law (and I know because I'm planning to go into that field).

Hofstra is the only one of those schools, that I know of, that has an Entertainment/Sports Law Society, if that makes any difference...

Either way, you've got some competition coming from those from NYU and Columbia who plan to go into those fields.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 07:23:51 PM »
Go to Nalpdirectory.com and look at the firms that recruit on the campuses you have mentioned.  The directory helped me a lot with deciding which schools to apply to, I'm sure it will offer some assistance with deciding which to attend. 

In any case, you will have to be at the top of your class to score a job that pays 125k.  It's easier for me to do well when I'm not worried about my finances.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 04:47:16 PM »
is there a reason you didn't apply to cardozo? they have an arts/entertainment journal (nba commish david stern sits on the advisory committee, so it clearly includes sports), and their grads who go private sector, on the average, do make 6 figures.

scolomon

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:21:25 PM »
i did not get into cardozo, fordham and was waitlisted at brooklyn.  I am well aware of other opportunities, however I do not qualify for them