Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone hear from american  (Read 3388 times)

ccptexas

• View Profile
Re: anyone hear from american
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 01:49:34 PM »
if it makes you feel any better, i got into american in january with a 3.78/161 from georgetown.  i feel like you should definitely get in.  good luck!

BMDiliberto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 04:59:46 PM »
Got rejected from American a few days ago with a 165/3.01... Disappointing, especially since I had already gotten into Maryland and been waitlisted at GWU and GMU... I figured I would have at least been waitlisted, but from what I hear American concentrates on GPA more than others schools so that may have been what screwed me.

Ah well... Looks like I'll be going to school at Maryland...

::keeping my fingers crossed for GWU::

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
Actually, relative to other schools, American is in the top 25% of schools that supposedly put a heavier weight on the LSAT, but I got in with 3.1/164 so index formulas aren't completely black and white.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 07:54:38 PM »
i got in yesterday. finally (applied in early december). but no money, merit or need based.

stillwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 08:00:02 PM »
Waitlisted yesterday ! GRRRRR .... better than reject i guess!

futurelawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 08:06:57 PM »
I finally heard from American, I got in but without the Public Interest Scholarship.  Unfortunately, this means I cannot go there because there's no way I could afford the 47K a year.  Good luck to all of you who are going!!

BMDiliberto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 08:40:43 PM »
Out of curiousity what were all of your stats?  I mean 165, even with a 3.01 and not even to get waitlisted was somewhat of a surprise.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 09:30:25 PM »
I finally heard from American, I got in but without the Public Interest Scholarship.  Unfortunately, this means I cannot go there because there's no way I could afford the 47K a year.  Good luck to all of you who are going!!

Just wanted to note that their cost of living calculation is extremely misleading.  They estimate $2700 board for 9 months, which is $300 a month.  Now, I'm not an expert about DC but they're still one of the more expensive cities to live in and $300 a month is a bit meager when compared to the board estimates by other schools.  Usually schools list something closer to the average amount someone could be expected to spend, not a super-economical estimate.  :P  Even though I would only spend $300 a month at most, I'd rather think I was saving money :)

My stats were 3.1/164

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 11:45:18 AM »
stillwaiting, you can have my seat; i'm not going to use it...

i had a 168. my gpa was 3.07 from a top 5 LAC. i have 5 yrs WE.

d3s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »
I just got my waitlist letter yesterday (with 3.66/159), but I'm not taking them up on the offer