Law School Discussion

"application" as "completion" deadlines?

"application" as "completion" deadlines?
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
I've been informed that my application to a school did not make the deadline because it was submitted to LSDAS Tuesday.  Their posted deadline is 2/1, but apparently an application and LSDAS report must be received by that deadline for it to be considered.

I had no idea "application deadline" referred to anything other than the application.  How many other schools require completion of a file by their application deadline?  I'm completely freaking out that my apps to Berkeley, Cornell, and UCLA will not be considered (as they were sent about ten days ago and wouldn't be complete yet) and that even if I apply to UPenn and UMich tonight they won't have a completed file by Feb 15.

Does anyone know?  I'm going to call as many of these schools as I can to find out, but I'm at work and can't tie up the phone.  (Seems like if they take my money and LSDAS transmits my application before the "deadline" that should count, but I'm envisioning a horrible worst-case-scenario that leaves me out of hundreds of dollars and only considered for admission at four schools.)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: "application" as "completion" deadlines?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »
Who informed you of that? That seems to violate the general rule. Then again, if there was something posted on the school's website, that sucks for you. This is the first I've heard of that, though.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »
Who informed you of that? That seems to violate the general rule. Then again, if there was something posted on the school's website, that sucks for you. This is the first I've heard of that, though.

The school requires a mailed-in signature.  I had forgotten to mail it in a few weeks ago, so I emailed the admissions office and asked if it would be okay if that arrived a week or so after the deadline.  I was told that yes, that was fine, but that the deadline referred to my "application and LSDAS report" which would not be there by today.  (I should note that this application *was not* paid for online, so they haven't taken my $80.  I would have liked to apply there but can live without it so long as I'm okay with my other apps and with sending Penn & Michigan this Fri or Sat.)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
just for your info, Penn also requires the send-in money and certification letter (the one that you sign, certifying that everything you had sent in was truthful). Michigan, on the other hand, accepts credit cards (sweet)

Thanks for the head's up.  I'll be priority mailing that Penn letter and cheque today for peace of mind.  (Do you happen to know if they have the same requirement for the LSDAS report?  As doesn't that take up to two weeks?)

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
I've been informed that my application to a school did not make the deadline because it was submitted to LSDAS Tuesday.  Their posted deadline is 2/1, but apparently an application and LSDAS report must be received by that deadline for it to be considered.

I had no idea "application deadline" referred to anything other than the application.  How many other schools require completion of a file by their application deadline?  I'm completely freaking out that my apps to Berkeley, Cornell, and UCLA will not be considered (as they were sent about ten days ago and wouldn't be complete yet) and that even if I apply to UPenn and UMich tonight they won't have a completed file by Feb 15.

Does anyone know?  I'm going to call as many of these schools as I can to find out, but I'm at work and can't tie up the phone.  (Seems like if they take my money and LSDAS transmits my application before the "deadline" that should count, but I'm envisioning a horrible worst-case-scenario that leaves me out of hundreds of dollars and only considered for admission at four schools.)

out of curiosity, what school was it? Now I'm getting paranoid...