Law School Discussion

Got my W-2 today!

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Got my W-2 today!
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Is it sad that I am ridiculously excited to have gotten my W-2 today so I can file my FAFSA?

I know you can "estimate" to get it in earlier, but I didn't want the headache of re-submitting the paperwork. I figured that missing a few weeks and still getting it in well before the March deadline wouldn't make a huge difference.

Anyway, hooray for W-2s!

Re: Got my W-2 today!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:02:55 AM »
Is it sad that I am ridiculously excited to have gotten my W-2 today so I can file my FAFSA?

I know you can "estimate" to get it in earlier, but I didn't want the headache of re-submitting the paperwork. I figured that missing a few weeks and still getting it in well before the March deadline wouldn't make a huge difference.

Anyway, hooray for W-2s!

Ditto!

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
Now you get to experience first hand the wrath of the US Dept of Education when you see the EFC they assign working folks...

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »
w00t

I got mine today too!  Man, I'm poor.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:25:23 AM »
I just can't wait... :) I love the fact that I've had to pull myself up by my bootstraps to get where I am with zero support from anyone... and that I'll be penalized for it while the kids whose parents pull down $100K+/year and support their lifestyles "off the record" get a free ride. It's so great to be me! Yippee!

Bitter, party of one! Ok, I'm not really a bitter old lady, I just play one on the internet. If I have to take out more personal loans, so be it. I really want to do this and I'm committed to seeing it through. Call it my advanced years out in the real world, but here goes nothing!  :)

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »
I got mine, too!  I'm afraid my taxes are going to be a smidge complicated this year because I have 3 W-2 forms (1 from my current job and 2 from my former job because the company switched hands halfway through last year) -and- I worked as a research assistant for a professor last year and they didn't deduct taxes from my pay (it's under 2K but still. . .).  This is going to be fun.  My EFC currently is almost 10K (how is that possible making 30K before taxes take 35% of it that I can afford to fork over 1/3 of what I made last year before taxes?  :o)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
I got mine, too! I'm afraid my taxes are going to be a smidge complicated this year because I have 3 W-2 forms (1 from my current job and 2 from my former job because the company switched hands halfway through last year) -and- I worked as a research assistant for a professor last year and they didn't deduct taxes from my pay (it's under 2K but still. . .). This is going to be fun. My EFC currently is almost 10K (how is that possible making 30K before taxes take 35% of it that I can afford to fork over 1/3 of what I made last year before taxes? :o)

Did the research assistant gig give you a 1099 instead of a W2? If so, make sure you file a Schedule C-EZ and offset that income with a bunch of nice "business" expenses.