Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can someone tell me how the hell this happend?  (Read 1068 times)

megjamie

• View Profile
Can someone tell me how the hell this happend?
« on: February 01, 2007, 12:18:51 AM »
Heres my situation:

- Canadian student
- 3.7 GPA (A-) or 82%
- 4th year, finished in April
- LSDAS calculated my GPA as 2.83

WHY??!?

I've tried to call, everyone there is useless. I can't get an answer out of anyone.

What can I do???

I'm going for a tour at Buffalo on Friday and talking to an admit lady. I have an offical copy of my transcript. Think if I tell her my situation she will take a look at them?

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: Can someone tell me how the hell this happend?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »
Heres my situation:

- Canadian student
- 3.7 GPA (A-) or 82%
- 4th year, finished in April
- LSDAS calculated my GPA as 2.83

WHY??!?

I've tried to call, everyone there is useless. I can't get an answer out of anyone.

What can I do???

I'm going for a tour at Buffalo on Friday and talking to an admit lady. I have an offical copy of my transcript. Think if I tell her my situation she will take a look at them?

82% is a B- by LSAC's calculations, and by most if not all stateside schools.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Lil Orphan Annie

Re: Can someone tell me how the hell this happend?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »
They might have made a mistake. I'm a Canadian student, and when I sent my transcripts in, they used a different system to compensate for the discrepancies between American grading and Canadian grading. For example, a semester with a 84.9 average got me about a 3.83 or so GPA.  And a semester with a 87 average got me a 3.9 something, etc.  So your 82 and a 3.7 sounds about right.  Call LSAC and ask them about it; explain you're a Canadian student and ask why they used the American GPA conversion system on you. They might need a grading key from your school to explain how the mark breakdown works, so maybe talk to your school about it as well.