Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake Forest  (Read 1287 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Wake Forest
« on: January 31, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
I didn't want to continue crudding up another thread with this OT discussion... so lets see if it can stand on it's own:

Wake is probably one of the only non T-30's that's really underrated. It's inexpensive too.
I'm curious: to what other non T-30s would you give that distinction?

Hmm. Probably only Fordham, but I can see merit in arguments for UC Hastings since it used to be ranked in the top 20 in the early/mid 1990's.

Also if you look at LSAT 25-75 ranges for the top 30-50, Fordham has the highest with 164-167, Wake has the second highest 162-166, BYU comes in third at 161-166, Hastings ties with several at 160-164 (and beats out Davis at 158-164). BYU has the highest 25th GPA in this group at 3.52, followed by Fordham at 3.37.

So definitely Fordham. But Fordham is pretty expensive and cost of living is tremendous in New York City. If you don't have a desire to practice there, and like warm weather, and can't get into the top 20, I think Wake Forest definitely competes with Emory, William and Mary, and UNC. Hell, it has a higher LSAT range than those three.

Hey, I like Wake, but I don't think it is competitive with those other schools in BIGLAW placements. In fact, I don't know if Wake really places that many people outside of NC.

Anyone got any stats on this?
VIP.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: Wake Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
No stats here captain, its all word of mouth but I hear Wake has a fabulous rep not just in NC but the entire southeast because it places well with firms in ATL, Richmond and of course Charlotte which is gradually becoming a very beautiful city actually. Quality of life is awesome there. One thing thats suprised me is that Wake enjoys a good rep all over though, dont know about BIG law, but its good a very respectable rep....
Washington University School of Law 2010

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
My goal (right now, maybe not in 3 years), however, is to work in NYC or maybe DC.

I'd actually really like to go down south for three years, but I would want to come back up north again.
VIP.

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
  I heard decent things about Wake Forest in the south but have you visited Winston Salem? It's the middle of nowhere and the law school was nothing great but you can take business courses quite easily since the business school is right next door.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
It depends on what you're looking for captain. I've been to Wake many times, its in a repectable town called Winston-Salem. Not much going on but Wake rules the town with its medical, law and business presence. I dont know if you'd like the quiet appeal being that you're coming from up north but it depends on where up north you're coming from. Even though Duke is about 45 minutes away along with Carolina, Wake still holds its own. Have you paid a visit to Wake yet?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
I haven't visited anywhere but Penn (my uberreach) yet. I plan on going to ASW/D, but I am not sure which ones yet. I am going to shorten my list some before then.

I like the south, and I'm not a big fan of going to school in the city. I spent a summer at W&L in HS and I wouldn't mind going rural again for Law School.

I went to Villanova (I guess I let that cat out of the bag, so why not post it everywhere I can), and I am from NJ, so I feel pretty-damn at-home in the suburbs as well, of course.

I want to WORK in the city when I am done with it all, but until then, I would be quite happy to far far away from it (as long as that doesn't preclude me from those jobs later).
VIP.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
If you like the south and cool with a small town, you'll fit right in at Wake. Now I definitely agree with you when you say you want to work in the city, I'm a city freak myself as I've lived my whole life in cities with populations of nothing less than 2million or more. However, with what I've read about you so far, if you love the south, and you love a city then I think you will definitely fall in love with Atlanta, I say that with no doubt in my mind but only of course according to what you've posted. I still urge you to visit Wake though, only then can you get the feel and be sure.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:48:14 PM »
How can you call Winston-Salem the middle of nowhere or a small "town?" Sheesh. Where'd you people grow up? NYC?

Its population is almost 200,000 people. That's a pretty big medium sized city. But anyway, if being in the middle of nowhere was a negative factor, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, Notre Dame, etc. would all suck.

As far as my contention that Wake compares to W&M, Emory, and UNC: within North Carolina, it's on par with UNC without a doubt. North Carolina law firms know that Wake grads tend to be non-southerners educated outside the state, which can be a tremendous benefit to the firm, while UNC law grads tend more often than not to be from the south, and often from within North Carolina itself (which can be a benefit but gives a sense of inbreeding). Outside of NC in the Southeast, Wake as an equal reputation to those schools for placement. I don't have any stats to back that up but there's no reason to suspect that Emory or William and Mary (which have danced in the 30's as well) are any more prestigious. UNC may have a better reputation, if only slightly.

Outside of the south, you may get a slight edge from W&M or UNC, but it's probably negligible in the long run. Likely, all four place the same in D.C., Atlanta, Nashville, and Richmond. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a school, what type of city you want to live in, etc. If you want to be in a secluded place, W&M is the place to be. If you want cheaper tuition, go to Wake. If you want to be near a big city, go to Emory. If you like a public, college atmosophere, go to UNC. But more or less, academically, there isn't anything that really sets any of them into another "league" like, say, Vandy or GWU and Wake or Emory.

Could'nt have said it better. Little wonder you're called Jesus.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:51:44 PM »
Honestly, I think UNC probably has a better reputation due to its sports teams. Everyone knows Chapel Hill; not everyone knows Wake. At least where I'm from. Sports teams, in general, have a tendency to influence reputation/perception.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
Honestly, I think UNC probably has a better reputation due to its sports teams. Everyone knows Chapel Hill; not everyone knows Wake. At least where I'm from. Sports teams, in general, have a tendency to influence reputation/perception.

So UF, OSU > W&L, W&M?

Heh. I think your point has some merit obviously, which is why ND has a good lay people rep, but Wake does have a good basketball (and now football) team that has a national reputation.

Well, no, lol...I don't really know what I'm basing my point on. Let's put it this way: back home (in NYC) people have a lot of respect for UNC, and consider it a great all around school (which it is). This doesn't apply to Wake which is also good for UG and LS alike. Like I said, people don't even know Wake (although I did as I was coached by their HC back in Football camp when I was only 12).