Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Univ. of Denver *interesting*  (Read 3388 times)

Camaro_Kyle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: In at Univ. of Denver *interesting*
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
Denver is one of my top choices right now as well, but I'm still desperately holding out hope for Boulder.  Although, if Boulder says no, then Denver it is.  Instead of renting, I have been thinking about buying a condo or townhome.  When I visited Denver back in December, I had a pretty hard time find a resonable, yet liveable place anywhere close to the school.  It seemed like everyone I talked to said they lived in Cherry Creek(?), or some other town around Denver.  Does anyone know what areas near Denver are better for students to live? I would like to live as close to the school as possible, but because I will most likely be living here after law school for at least a little while, I would like it to be in a nice area.  How big of a hassle is it to live 5-10 miles away?

Thanks

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »
I know the Lakewood area is nice and pretty close to campus. It is a pretty clean town anyway.

DaBears34

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the grading curve at DU is?  I'll need a 3.0 to keep the scholarship.  Any current DU student?  Thanks.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »
Does anyone know what the grading curve at DU is?  I'll need a 3.0 to keep the scholarship.  Any current DU student?  Thanks.

Our curve is 3.09. 

NALP shows the median GPA as 3.1691 and the top 50% to be 3.1483. 

2L

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »
IMO the 3.0 minimum to keep the $$ is BS

Its one of the reasons that DU is off my radar unless I manage to get dinged at all 8 other schools. Now a full ride with no minuumum... that would be sweet  ;D
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
Quite a scholarship...that's an interesting curve to break
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Blackacre2009

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
I think with most scholarships at DU the requirment to keep them is a minimum 3.0 (this GPA basically ensures that you fall in or very near the top 50% of the class).

Remember to keep the 3.0 in perspective, while the curve mandates that the average grade in each first year class basically has to be a B, in a class of 90 people the professor could give almost half of the class an A and the other half a C to meet the curve requirment.  I know a few students who were surprised at the end of this first semester because keeping a 3.0 in law school is a LOT harder than keeping a 3.0 in undergrad or even a masters program is. 

If you have other scholarship offers that don't have a GPA requirment at other schools I would look at those very seriously, however remember that law school is also about finding a job after it's all over so if those other schools with $$$ and no GPA requirment to keep the $$$ don't have a very succesful job placement rate then that may not be the best choice either.  DU is pretty good with making sure that everyone can get loans to cover their tuititon and cost of living so if you lose a scholarship you would be able to supplement the cost with loans- however it would be debt that you're taking on so that would of course be another consideration.

If you really like DU and want to go and they offered you money then I say give it a shot.

Camaro_Kyle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »
Wanted to bump this thread up and I have a question for those attending and/or living in Denver. Although Boulder is not out of the question yet (still have not heard from them), Denver is looking more and more probable. Originally my plan was that if I attend Denver, I would buy a condo to live in right away. But, the more I think about it, this does not sound realistic. So, if anything, I am going to rent my first year (somewhere close to campus preferably), and I will look into purchasing for my last two years of school.  Can anyone tell me the name of some nice, but not very expensive ($500-$700) apartments or apartments buildings to look at. Or, are there any places that should be avoided? I checked DU's website and saw their list of housing, but was wondering if there are any others.
Thanks

watson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
Camaro,
If you go to www.forrent.com or www.rent.com  you can put in the school and choose how close distance and then look at the apartments from there. 
University of Denver - Class of 2010!!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
i had applied to u denver and sent my lsac transcript to them, but didn't bother sending in the cert letter and app fee after i got accepted to smu since smu is where i'm getting my masters and would be much less stress not having such a long move.
but denver just accepted me, no scholarship info, yet.

i know next to nothing about denver, but my best friend from high school was there a couple of years ago, and may still be there.  i need to find his number.

what's the deal with denver?
weather?  is it always cold?
what's the job market like?  would you have to move to find a job or do most people stay in the area?
i'll have to check out the cost of living and rent prices in the area.