Law School Discussion

Do I have a shot at American, U of Arizona, U of Florida, and Uconn? (applied)

As per LSAC:
Arizona, American 10-15%
Conn - 12-18%
Florida - 0-10%

There, I did the work for you.  Are you happy now?

i just did it, and i got different numbers? Florida is the easiest out of those schools to get into (according to their website i am 1 point ABOVE their 25th percentile LSAT). The other schools i was 3-4 points below their 25th percentile. So unless you are bsing me, the LSAC calculator seems to be innacurate.

I am a non-URM, my GPA is a 3.58, and my LSAT is a 156.  I have very strong essays, a strong essay and great letters of reccomndations. It will probably be months before i hear back from any of those places, but what do you guys think?  Im already in at U of Miami, but it would be very nice if I could get into a Tier 1.

Wait, you have a strong essay seperate from your strong essays? Please, explain.

sorry, i meant the second to say "strong resume" i fixed it in the original post. Just a typo/mind fart

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
So now that we all know the same thing -- which is strictly a guess based on your numbers compared to previous applicants -- if you want us to really help give you a better idea, you need to be a little more detailed on what the rest of your application is like.

Is your 3.5 in Phys Ed or in Microbiology?
Were you in any honor societies?
Leadership and EC's?
WE?

strangely, University of Florida has a lower 25th percentile LSAT than U of Miami?  

As per LSAC:
Arizona, American 10-15%
Conn - 18-25%
Florida - 25-30%

EDIT:  Originally was based off of a 155 LSAT instead of your 156.

yea thats what I got. Seems like 1 point makes a hell of a difference in my case, right? Pretty nuts.

Boss

• View Profile
As per LSAC:
Arizona, American 10-15%
Conn - 12-18%
Florida - 0-10%

i just did it, and i got different numbers? Florida is the easiest out of those schools to get into (according to their website i am 1 point ABOVE their 25th percentile LSAT). The other schools i was 3-4 points below their 25th percentile. So unless you are bsing me, the LSAC calculator seems to be innacurate.

I thought you original post had a 155 LSAT.  If you'll notice, I did edit my original comment to reflect a 156.  And honestly, that one point isn't a big difference.  It'll still put you in the "most likely rejected pile".  If you want to know you shot, you need to be honest about what is so compelling in your application that will convince an adcom to pick up your app and put it in the admit pile.

So now that we all know the same thing -- which is strictly a guess based on your numbers compared to previous applicants -- if you want us to really help give you a better idea, you need to be a little more detailed on what the rest of your application is like.

Is your 3.5 in Phys Ed or in Microbiology?
Were you in any honor societies?
Leadership and EC's?
WE?

its more like a 3.6 (3.58)  ;D

1.Political Science
2. Yes, Pi Sigma Alpha (political science honor society), made dean's list like 6 or so semesters, but that is probably useless to them
3.  I help run the UMass pre-law society (i am the events coordinator), I am in a few other clubs as a member, I am a panel member of the Academic Honesty Board (we review cases of academic misconduct like cheating, and basically decide with a few professor's what the punishement should be, and panel member of the judiciary board (review cases of students getting into trouble like commiting crimes or something else. Same deal, we vote on whether they are guilty, and we write down suggestions on how to deal with the situation).
4.  My major WE was working interning at a Global Labor Rights Group/Social Auditing Company.  They basically are hired by multi-national corporations to go to over-sees factories and monitor labor conditions, and then report back to the factory. They are really not activits though, as they dont' protest, and actually work with the companies.  Aside from that, I have always worked part-time jobs through college during the semester, but the internship is definately the big one for me.

Boss

• View Profile
But what did you do at the intership?  People might be impressed by the name of the company, but if all you did was make coffee or answer phones, it's probably not as presitijus as you think.

ptown

• View Profile
I don't think that a internship would be viewed as a super-awesome soft factor anyway, not when you are competing with people that work full-time through college, or non-trads that work in actual positions of responsibility in business or the military.  An internship is more like "playing work".  It doesn't compare to actual work.

Certainly it is better than nothing, but I wouldn't count on any of those factors giving you a real edge over applicants with higher numbers.

all these schools are uber-reaches, say a prayer for them, but I would resign myself to expecting rejection.

But what did you do at the intership?  People might be impressed by the name of the company, but if all you did was make coffee or answer phones, it's probably not as presitijus as you think.
ha, yea I hear you. It wasn't like that at all, this was a REAL internship. I worked with a team of other interns to produce reports that would actually be used in the process of giving each company a final report. The one I was specifically working on, was for a project regarding the California Pension Fund, which was looking to invest BILLIONS into a developing country, but only one that practiced fair labor practices (as a way to reward the country basically, and not reward countries that exploit workers).  We researched several countries and had to compile very extensive reports on each.  I literally did what the paid employee's were doing.  

I talked about most of this (made it clear that i compiled reports) in my apps, but i talked about the CALPERS fund in detail in my Uconn/American essay. Hopefully something liek this will boost me a bit? I realize my numbers aren't breathtaking or anything, but the 2 week turn-around after applying (not going complete, 2 weeks after applying) from U of Miami have me feeling optimistic, considering LSAC said I only had a 50% chance of getting in.