Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "On HOLD" vs. The Waitlist  (Read 912 times)

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
"On HOLD" vs. The Waitlist
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
Ok, after re-reading the "waitlist" email from the Asst. Dean of Admissions at UIUC, I realize that I too quickly made the assumption that the meaning of "On Hold" was the equivalent of a Waitlist. 

He said, and I quote: "We have placed you in the “HOLD” category of applicants who will be receiving a close second look.  When your application is reconsidered, you could be admitted, placed on a waiting list, or denied."

So it turns out this hold business is clearly not a waitlist.  So what does this mean? Are there many that fall into the "hold" category? 
Yale 2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: "On HOLD" vs. The Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »
Ok, after re-reading the "waitlist" email from the Asst. Dean of Admissions at UIUC, I realize that I too quickly made the assumption that the meaning of "On Hold" was the equivalent of a Waitlist. 

He said, and I quote: "We have placed you in the “HOLD” category of applicants who will be receiving a close second look.  When your application is reconsidered, you could be admitted, placed on a waiting list, or denied."

So it turns out this hold business is clearly not a waitlist.  So what does this mean? Are there many that fall into the "hold" category? 

send a letter of continuing interest asap. you will prolly get in. ;)
Columbia 3L

johnromero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:45 PM »
I think she was referring to the OP's particular situation at UIUC considering his stats.

Oh, okay. In that case, let me delete my irrelevant post.

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:58:49 PM »
Thanks for responding guys.  Well I guess that's a little bit more comforting to know that it's a deferral rather than a waitlist.  And yes ma'am Miss Celies... Will do  :) 
Yale 2010