Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke apps are up too.  (Read 1910 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duke apps are up too.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »
So that's why they still didn't answer me.  ???

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »
I think Priority Track for Duke will ultimately prove to be a bad idea because

1) Priority track will make Duke rather than G-Town the safety for T-14 applicants and most accepted PT will not matriculate.

2) Everyone else is forced to wait longer.  Waiting makes people not like schools.

My prediction is that Duke will need to draw heavily from its waitlist this year and its medians for matriculated students might fall, especially since Duke is supposedly averaging LSAT scores while other peer institutions such as Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell are taking the higher score.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
So that's why they still didn't answer me. ???

Exactly. Though I'm now worried about my chances since my recent NU ding.

It's interesting how he mentions the buzz on DUKE via discussion boards.  HMMM....

I think Priority Track for Duke will ultimately prove to be a bad idea because

1) Priority track will make Duke rather than G-Town the safety for T-14 applicants and most accepted PT will not matriculate.

2) Everyone else is forced to wait longer.  Waiting makes people not like schools.

My prediction is that Duke will need to draw heavily from its waitlist this year and its medians for matriculated students might fall, especially since Duke is supposedly averaging LSAT scores while other peer institutions such as Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell are taking the higher score.

I definitely agree on the bolded and wonder if it will impact their yeild.
Columbia 3L

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »
Duke was horribly slow last year. I mean horribly. I think the priority track thing was an effort to win some goodwill. But it may indeed backfire.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
Duke was horribly slow last year. I mean horribly. I think the priority track thing was an effort to win some goodwill. But it may indeed backfire.

yea i remember that (as i had just started posting)...and even looking at LSN you could see how slow they were.  I hope they start letting in some targets soon...
Columbia 3L

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 11:37:27 AM »
Duke is definitely not averaging even though they claim they are...

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 11:44:33 AM »

yea i remember that (as i had just started posting)...and even looking at LSN you could see how slow they were.  I hope they start letting in some targets soon...

It will be interesting to see how they handle this cycle's target and borderline candidates. It seems to me that if you win brownie points from your auto-admits but lose the enthusiasm of your targets, who are after all your bread and butter, you have done yourself a real disservice.

Again, I'm actually surprised at how few applications Duke actually gets. BC gets over 6k a year and it's far from a T-14.

perfect pint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lovely day for a Guinness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »

It will be interesting to see how they handle this cycle's target and borderline candidates. It seems to me that if you win brownie points from your auto-admits but lose the enthusiasm of your targets, who are after all your bread and butter, you have done yourself a real disservice.

Again, I'm actually surprised at how few applications Duke actually gets. BC gets over 6k a year and it's far from a T-14.

A lot of people are turned off by the location. They don't want to live in the South, they've heard bad (and probably untrue) things about Durham. They don't want to be somewhere isolated (these are also the people who don't apply to UVA). Etc...

BC gets so many applications because it's historically been the second best school in a very popular education city that a lot of people would love to live in.