Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Better job prospects in Chicago, ND or WUSTL?  (Read 935 times)

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Better job prospects in Chicago, ND or WUSTL?
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
Hey all-

Right now Chicago is one of my top markets and I'm curious where you think I should be thinking about with my acceptances: basically ND or WUSTL.  I'm confident I can do well at either school, but I'd obviously prefer not to have to be at the very top of my class to land a solid firm job after graduation.  If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Better job prospects in Chicago, ND or WUSTL?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
I'm thinking ND.
Columbia 3L

Dukestarbored

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
There are a lot of Notre Dame alums in Chicago, so the networking is probably better.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
There are a lot of Notre Dame alums in Chicago, so the networking is probably better.

your argument is incomplete

sadly, so is the career info at WUSTL.  I am curious about this question myself, so if someone who has ND acceptance materials would like to post any chicago stats they provide I will do the same once I get my WUSTL acceptance package this week.

after-looking-at-your-LSN-edit:  Don't rule out UIUC for chicago.  They place very well (there is a thread about this from a week or two back...)
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:44 PM »
after-looking-at-your-LSN-edit:  Don't rule out UIUC for chicago.  They place very well (there is a thread about this from a week or two back...)

I understand that... but at the same time, I'm not 100% committed to Chicago and ND or WUSTL (or maybe BC) seem to be better national choices in case I change my mind about the Windy City.  I have the ND materials... I'll see what I can find and post it up later tonight (Studio 60 commercial break is almost over).

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »

I understand that... but at the same time, I'm not 100% committed to Chicago and ND or WUSTL (or maybe BC) seem to be better national choices in case I change my mind about the Windy City.  I have the ND materials... I'll see what I can find and post it up later tonight (Studio 60 commercial break is almost over).

While I have a feeling that ND, UIUC and WUSL will all have similar Chicago placement, I think ND will be by far your best national option of those three.  The other day there was a jeopardy category about school mascots, and they showed a picture of the fighting irishman and said "this university has a well known law school" ... if Alex thinks ND is national that is good enough for me!  BC is up there too, with good placement in Chicago as well as the west coast.

PS one of my summer goals is going to be to get into Studio 60 ... I was really mad at myself when I stumbled into a marathon on Bravo or some similar channel the other day ... it looks good but I don't have the time to catch up right now.
2L, Boston College Law

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »
this is a pretty good page for ND
http://law.nd.edu/prospective_students/career_information/graduates_state.html

illinois, indiana, cali and NY the 4 most common places.

for BC the stats are less clear:
http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services/career/statistics/

obviously a large number stay in new england, with mobility around the east coast.
some representation in the midwest and west.

I hope Vandy will be a good option for both you and I:
http://law.vanderbilt.edu/employers-cs/download.aspx?id=387

(this post not meant to be patronizing ... more just reassuring myself, really...)
2L, Boston College Law

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
I appreciate that bamf.  I've been leaning towards ND as well, but a nice scholarship could always change my mind.  But at the same time, I hope my cycle is far from over.  I really liked the Vandy stat saying that 92% had jobs before graduation, that is very impressive.  I'd definitely like to see something like that for WUSTL and ND. 

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
For solid firm jobs, where in the class would you need to be at ND? WUSTL? UIUC?  Thanks for any ideas.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:04 PM »
I really liked the Vandy stat saying that 92% had jobs before graduation, that is very impressive.  

Chicago is also a market I'm considering for post-law school employment (as it's probably clear from my choice of schools).  I just spoke with a Vanderbilt 1L last night, and she said Chicago is one of the 3 top destinations for their graduates.  That, together with good placement in Texas (my other preferred location) and OCI for first-year students, moves Vanderbilt to the very top of my list if they give me money.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya