Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell Visit Review  (Read 3088 times)

LawSchoolNY07

• View Profile
Cornell Visit Review
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
I just returned from visiting Cornell and Ithaca for the first time.

First, I want to say, I am NOT a small town girl by any means... I enjoy a faster paced lifestyle.

I live too far from ithaca to drive it all in one day, so I drove up the night before to explore ithaca. There is not much to do at all, I went to Barnes and Noble to get a magazine and it was soo crowded, all college student. I realized that must be what they do on the weekends. I was less then impressed and decided to go back to the hotel after only a short time in the "downtown" area.

During the night it snowed and got very cold, another strike in my book... although I knew about the weather already.

I arrived early to look around Cornells campus. It is HUGE, like a big city reminded me of the American University Campus very much. I dont know how one would walk all over that campus for classes as an undergrad, at least for law school you are only in one building. I found the few undergrad buildings I went into to be run down and dirty.

I had called over a week ago to set a date to come and the lady in admissions told me a student would give me a tour. I arrive to find that they dont have students working for them giving tours yet and they have no self guided tour materials. They asked the assisstant dean of admissions to give me a tour and he agreed spending over an hour with me. He was very nice and answered all my questions, he impressed me very much. I saw the dean and much of the faculty walking around and they seemed very accessible and friendly. The law school building was nice, some of the large classrooms appeared old and a little run down, seems as though they could use a little updating, but all in all it was fine. The library is OLD, dark, and dusty. I cant imagine spending too much time in there. As well, I was told the study tables get crowded with undergrad who think it is "cool" to study in the law library.
Much of what he talked about seemed interesting. They have a number of clinics that seem like they would be great experience. As well there are a lot of classes that interest me. It was very nice that he took the time out of his day to give me a tour and speak with me and he never seemed the slightest bit rushed or upset. All of the faculty was friendly that I encountered. This was a nice change from some other law schools I have visited.

I had time after to explore Collegetown which has some places to eat and shop, it was nice but a far walk from the law school building. Parking is horrendous and I cant imagine having to deal with it on an everyday basis.

Overall, I like the ACADEMICS and FACULTY available at the school but nothing else about ithaca or Cornell impressed me. I dont know what I would do if I got in. I want to say I am going to go to the best school I get into. But I am not sure at this point if I can see myself living in Ithaca for 3 years or navigating the Cornell campus.

I know I am leaving some things out, so please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them. Please dont get the impression that I am totally against the school and think it is horrible. I saw some great things that I really liked. But the place I am going to live for 3 years is very important to me too.
"I Go Here!" : Fordham
"What? Like Its Hard?: Fordham, St.Johns ($$$$), Villanova, Northeastern ($$), UCONN, Seton Hall ($$$), Brooklyn ($$$), Cardozo
"No, Its Like a Smart People Thing": BC, Penn
"Shes not completely unfortunate looking": Cornell

Pending:BU

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
Re: Cornell Visit Review
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »
hey, i'm a cornell undergrad and i just want to say a few things about ithaca...becauase you don't seem to like it too much (hey, it's not for everyone)

but....you really have to know ithaca and look in the newspaper for things to do. its incredibly difficult to come to ithaca "cold" (pun intended) and expecting to be entertained. Ithaca is a great town, with great food on the commons (which i think you walked to, not collegetown becauase collegetown is literally a 2 minute walk, and it is NOT by any definition far). And yes, some of the undergrad buildings are rundown, but as a law student, you won't frenquent any of them unless you're in a LLM or JD/PHD program and even then, you'd probably get a cushier place.

yes, parking isn't fabulous, but save gas and the environment, take the bus, or bike, or walk. You'll get used to the snow and the cold and it'sall about preparation (i'm taking long underwear) and you'll be more than fine.

and are you sure you went to the right place downtown because Barnes and Nobles is more on the outskirt of downtown (go to wegmans, it's awesome...i swear, you will never have as much fun food shopping in your life...or spend as much).

ithaca is a wonderfully diverse small town, give it a chance. I thought it was kinda gross at first, but after 3.5 years here, i'm truly going to miss it when i come back. There are places for everyone, gay nightclubs, sports bars, hippie soup places (smells like BO though, but great soup!). A two-day visit could not emcompass that.

but hey, ithaca isn't for everyone, but if you like kayaking....hiking....waterfa lls...it's a godsend

oh did i mention that many many wineries are nearby?!?!

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
I just returned from visiting Cornell and Ithaca for the first time.

First, I want to say, I am NOT a small town girl by any means... I enjoy a faster paced lifestyle.

I live too far from ithaca to drive it all in one day, so I drove up the night before to explore ithaca. There is not much to do at all, I went to Barnes and Noble to get a magazine and it was soo crowded, all college student. I realized that must be what they do on the weekends. I was less then impressed and decided to go back to the hotel after only a short time in the "downtown" area.

During the night it snowed and got very cold, another strike in my book... although I knew about the weather already.

I arrived early to look around Cornells campus. It is HUGE, like a big city reminded me of the American University Campus very much. I dont know how one would walk all over that campus for classes as an undergrad, at least for law school you are only in one building. I found the few undergrad buildings I went into to be run down and dirty.

I had called over a week ago to set a date to come and the lady in admissions told me a student would give me a tour. I arrive to find that they dont have students working for them giving tours yet and they have no self guided tour materials. They asked the assisstant dean of admissions to give me a tour and he agreed spending over an hour with me. He was very nice and answered all my questions, he impressed me very much. I saw the dean and much of the faculty walking around and they seemed very accessible and friendly. The law school building was nice, some of the large classrooms appeared old and a little run down, seems as though they could use a little updating, but all in all it was fine. The library is OLD, dark, and dusty. I cant imagine spending too much time in there. As well, I was told the study tables get crowded with undergrad who think it is "cool" to study in the law library.
Much of what he talked about seemed interesting. They have a number of clinics that seem like they would be great experience. As well there are a lot of classes that interest me. It was very nice that he took the time out of his day to give me a tour and speak with me and he never seemed the slightest bit rushed or upset. All of the faculty was friendly that I encountered. This was a nice change from some other law schools I have visited.

I had time after to explore Collegetown which has some places to eat and shop, it was nice but a far walk from the law school building. Parking is horrendous and I cant imagine having to deal with it on an everyday basis.

Overall, I like the ACADEMICS and FACULTY available at the school but nothing else about ithaca or Cornell impressed me. I dont know what I would do if I got in. I want to say I am going to go to the best school I get into. But I am not sure at this point if I can see myself living in Ithaca for 3 years or navigating the Cornell campus.

I know I am leaving some things out, so please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them. Please dont get the impression that I am totally against the school and think it is horrible. I saw some great things that I really liked. But the place I am going to live for 3 years is very important to me too.

haha I have no idea how you came out with those impressions.

Yea Ithaca is far from any major cities 3 1/2 hours from NYC or Philly. I have no idea why you went to Barnes and Nobles though, most Cornell students never go there since it is in the outskirts of downtown. If you were here saturday night over 3500 students were at the Colgate hockey game from 7:30ish til 10:45ish, amazing game! We won. After that the bars on college town were packed including Dino's (it was 18+ night), Rulloff's, Johny O's, etc. It is true it has been wicked cold lately but that has not stopped anyone from partying.  :D

About the law school itself. I think it is by far one of the most beautiful law school buildings/campuses around and a lot of their classrooms have been recently renovated and are quite new. The law school library is one of the prettiest at Cornell; a bunch of the stacks are separated and ugly but the reading room is just amazing and that is why some undergrads go there too.

How in the world did you think collegetown was far from the law school? You step out of the law school and you are literally 30secs away from collegetown. Parking is a problem for Cornell University but the law school has it own parking lot and there is one like two minutes away in collegetown.

The Cornell campus is truely one of the largest and most beautiful American campuses, but it wouldn't really matter for you since all the law school is in one building. I however enjoy walking for my classes between three different quads, and they allot suffiecient time for that in between classes.

I'm sorry your impression of Ithaca was not the best, hopefully you'd give a second chance on ASD. I do agree that Ithaca is not for everybody and to each its own.  :)

LawSchoolNY07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
Thanks to both of you for giving a better impression of the area to those who may be reading the post.

As for parking, I only parked where I was told to... no one mentioned the law school had its own lot, would have been nice to know ::)

I was in Collegetown, ate at Collegetown Bagels, great chicken sandwich and bought a shirt in the store next door. Maybe it wasnt as far as it seemed but I was the fool sliding around in 4 inch heels. If I get accepted I will definitly give Ithaca another try during the Spring.
"What? Like Its Hard?: Fordham, St.Johns ($$$$), Villanova, Northeastern ($$), UCONN, Seton Hall ($$$), Brooklyn ($$$), Cardozo

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:13:56 PM »
Thanks to both of you for giving a better impression of the area to those who may be reading the post.

As for parking, I only parked where I was told to... no one mentioned the law school had its own lot, would have been nice to know ::)

I was in Collegetown, ate at Collegetown Bagels, great chicken sandwich and bought a shirt in the store next door. Maybe it wasnt as far as it seemed but I was the fool sliding around in 4 inch heels. If I get accepted I will definitly give Ithaca another try during the Spring.

Yay! Our job is done. Good luck!  ;)

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »
As another UG at Cornell, I agree with the sentiment that Cornell and Ithaca aren't for everyone. But for a town of its size, Ithaca has much more to offer than most other 30,000 person towns: tons of restaurants (the most per capita in the US), bars (11 in Collegetown alone, not even counting the rest of the city), indie movie theatres, unique and locally owned shops, and a ton of outdoor activities in the surrounding area when the weather is nice. The fact that so many students in the UG and LS are from NYC speaks volumes about the ease of living in Ithaca coming from a big city. Yes, it's a change, and it's certainly not perfect (especially between November and March), but it can be a great place to live for a temporary amount of time.
W&L Class of 2010

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »
LSNY07, look what thee hath wrought....it never pays to speak lowly of ithaca around cornell UGs/(or for matter any ithaca resident).

but yeah, 4 inch heels isn't recommended, unless you have huge calves and good balance.

good luck with cornell admissions, and hope that you'll give ithaca another look (sorry about getting a bit crazy there, but i guess it was just a straw that broke the camel's back)

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
Do you guys think there will be any social life for Cornell law kids? I'm worried that with no place/party/bar/event to blow off steam on the weekend I'll want to die. I don't need anything too happening... but I need something...

Anyone going to the first ASW?
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:20 PM »
Do you guys think there will be any social life for Cornell law kids? I'm worried that with no place/party/bar/event to blow off steam on the weekend I'll want to die. I don't need anything too happening... but I need something...

Anyone going to the first ASW?

ok, the OP has got to be crazy.  Or too used to living in a huge generic suburb to know where to look for culture.  As an above poster stated, Barnes and Noble is on the outskirts of town, where we push all the cookie-cutter chain stores (I do not go to cornell ... there is another school in Ithaca, you know...).  There are two great places in Ithaca that will provide more than enough fun on weekends.

The Commons is the "downtown" area of Ithaca.  Let me count in my head ... at least 10 bars down there.  Some are UG bars, some have townies, but several are just really awesome all around (KOROVA!!!).  There are also coffee shops, head shops, a theatre, a movie theatre (art house flicks) and sooooo much good food (MOOSEWOOD!!!)

The area closer to Cornell is Collegetown, which is again full of great food, bars, and one-off unique shops.  I don't go out in collegetown that often (much easier for me to just walk 2 mins to the commons) but there are a bunch of great bars there that range from dance clubs to more laid back, "academic-feeling" bars where you will see profs and older students.
I beg you to visit and to go out in these places instead of being drawn to the brightest neon lights and signs.  Thats never the way to find a good time.
Ithaca is awesome (except for the snow).
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

LawSchoolNY07

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
I only posted this to be helpful and give MY opinion of the school. I prefaced it with the fact that I am not used to small town life and like a fast paced schedule.

Bars are not my scene and it seems to be one of the biggest activities to take part in.

I said I liked the law school and did not rule out future visits and even possibly attending.

Remember, if everyone liked the same thing we would all live in one place and the rest of the US would be empty.

I am not trying to "badmouth" the city you all love. I am glad you like it and I am sure the next 200 people admitted to Cornell will as well. I was just trying to give my honest first impression of the place.