Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career prospects after JAG  (Read 750 times)

barenakedtjm

Career prospects after JAG
« on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »
I plan to do Navy JAG after law school for four years before moving on to the private sector.  Obviously, pay would not be as great there as it would be going straight to a firm.  My question is this -- what do y'all think about my career prospects after JAG?  Specifically, will potential employers still care all that much about where I went to law school?  Given my plans, would it still be worth paying a great deal of money more to attend a higher-T1 private school (Vandy, Emory) than a lower-T1 state school (Alabama)?  Note that I plan to practice in the south, and would consider DC, so prospects north of DC are not relevant to me.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Career prospects after JAG
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »
They will care less and a great performance in the Navy can definitely overpower a less than steller law school.  I have no idea how much less though.

One thing to consider is that I've heard of several people doing the Big Law 2L summer associate position, getting a job offer, and deferring that offer until after their JAG tour.  If you want to go that route, like most Big Law positions, it should be easier from a higher ranked school.

Since Alabama is still a T1 school, I think you'll be fine compared to a higher T1.  It's not as if you're comparing Cooley to Vandy.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

barenakedtjm

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »
That's what I was thinking (hoping).  One major factor I keep considering is that it would be pretty tough to live with $100k+ in loans if I have to work four years at <$50k in the Navy.  Alabama tuition, getting in-state after a year, would make that exceedingly easier.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
Keep in mind that by getting your student loans now and then going to active duty, you're protected by the Service Members Credit Relief Act that can cap your APR at 6%.  Also, it's easier to defer/claim forebearance on your loans if your military salary is too low for you to make the payments.  Lastly, only your first year should be under $50K. After that, pay raises and promotions push you above $50K.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 04:13:24 PM »
I figured the military would be willing to wipe out the loans in exchange for a tour.  See if your recruiter knows of anything he's not telling you about. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 04:16:24 PM »
I figured the military would be willing to wipe out the loans in exchange for a tour.  See if your recruiter knows of anything he's not telling you about. 

Not true for JAG Officers.  And even if you enlisted to pay off student loans, the max they pay is $20K. 

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »
Boss is correct.

At least for the Air Force, after your four year term, they pay $20K of your debt for another 2 years, and then $40K for another two years. My FSO said that they are looking to flip this ($40K for your 5th-6th year).

Some schools LRAP programs will pay that debt down though it varies considerably from school to school.
Air Force JAG Corps

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
I think the Army program is similar.  Something like paying $60K if you extend for another 6 years.  Regardless of amount, it's after you did your initial tour.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:02:02 PM »
I'd consider two extra years, but I don't want to hang around too long unless I love serving because I want to try the private sector too.