Law School Discussion

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
WUSTL? Washington University in St. Louis? Never heard of it.

I looked at some of your old posts.  You didn't know UMinn had a law school?  Yeah, stop giving people bad advice...

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 04:13:57 PM »
I had heard someone mention in passing that there was going to be a new law building at WashU soon, which I found odd since A-B hall just opened less than 10 years ago.  But they were right ... the main building is staying the same but WashU is constructing a new social sciences and law classroom building on the main campus.  It should be done (we all know it wont) by the begining of what would be our second semester.

middle of the page:
http://neighbors.wustl.edu/spring06/construction.htm

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
does anyone care to offer any input on the student body at WUSTL? does it seem like a competitive place? are people friendly? what is the feel of the school? i'm hoping/planning to visit, but i'm just wondering what other people who may have been there think.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »
I can answer some questions about Wash U (current 1L) - PM me for my e-mail

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm a little worried about their employment prospects in NY as well... tag

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »

Basically, St. Louis needs to go form its own state, just like Chicago does (the rest of Illinois is cornfields and most of the rest of Missouri, save Columbia, Kansas City and, to some extent, Jeff City is kind of bleh).

So I see you do agree that st. louis is in the middle of nowhere.  For what it's worth, I never said St. Louis was a boring city.  i'm sure it has great nightlife and the arts considering there's a major university in the area.  glad to know there's awesome italian food seeing as how that's my fav.  are you a current student there? 

also, when i said in the middle of nowhere, i meant in terms of major job prospects. considering that my entire post was about job prospects, i didn't think it'd be necessary to spell that out.  :P

Under those guidelines, I'd say that NYC is in the middle of nowhere. To me, saying something is in the middle of nowhere means that it's the only thing around. Kansas U I would say is in the middle of nowhere. WUSTL is in the middle of St. Louis and that's what I was getting at.

Getting jobs out of WUSTL not in St. Louis shouldn't be that hard. It's one of the best schools in the mid-west, so you'll have recruiters from all over the area (I asked specifically about getting a job in Chicago during my visit and my tour guide responded with an immediate "yes" like it would not be hard at all...and it was too immediate to be lip service). They claim to have tentacles out around the country and want to improve their career office to serve their students. I think they have connections in DC and NYC too but can't be sure.

And I'm not a student at WUSTL now, but I'm a born and raised St. Louisan. We're all very proud of our city. :)

We need to be friends. I'm a St. Lous native as well.

My only comment about WUSTL (I didn't apply b/c I don't have the #s): You better live close to campus because they're going to shut down the main east/west highway that cuts through the middle of the metro area. Traffic will be a female dog. So live somewhere that doesn't require getting onto the highway.

You've been warned...

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
Y

P

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
So, I applied to WUSTL on November 8. They never notified me that I was complete. They did, however, send me every other frickin' thing they could think of. Anyway, I haven't received a decision from them yet. My numbers are both above their 75th percentiles. What the heck is going on?

I never got a complete notice either. I called the admissions office and asked to check on my application status. When they found out I hadn't received my complete notice (they mail them), they were very nice and very apologetic about the whole thing. I'd call them and ask.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »
Anyone get the big binder of materials for admitted students today? Nice to see WUSTL showing the love...I cracked up at the last sentence of the Dean's letter: "Please come." Way to play hard to get, WUSTL.  ;D

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »
We need to be friends. I'm a St. Lous native as well.

My only comment about WUSTL (I didn't apply b/c I don't have the #s): You better live close to campus because they're going to shut down the main east/west highway that cuts through the middle of the metro area. Traffic will be a female dog. So live somewhere that doesn't require getting onto the highway.

You've been warned...

Another St. Louis native seconding this good advice. I already know that if I go to WUSTL or SLU that I plan on living as close to campus as I can manage. Traffic around WUSTL will probably be particularly bad during rush hour because of people using Forest Park Parkway(which runs right by campus) as a subsititue for 40/64.