Law School Discussion

« on: January 28, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
I dont like their website a whole lot.  The employment info is rather lacking.  Eagerly awaiting my acceptance package this week.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
I dont like their website a whole lot.  The employment info is rather lacking.  Eagerly awaiting my acceptance package this week.

me too.  i'm a little worried about their employment rates at graduation.  don't know how helpful their career services is and how many recruiters come on campus.  Also, I'm a little worried that since it's off in the middle of NOWHERE, it'll be somewhat difficult to network with future employers.    :-\

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! It's in St. Louis...not bumfuck Missouri. Basically, St. Louis needs to go form its own state, just like Chicago does (the rest of Illinois is cornfields and most of the rest of Missouri, save Columbia, Kansas City and, to some extent, Jeff City is kind of bleh). St. Louis is an AMAZING city in the midwest with a ton of great food and neighborhoods and an awesome atmosphere. The facilities are awesome at WUSTL as well. It's right near downtown Clayton (a businessy suburb..basically St. Louis' second downtown and the main legal center in the city besides downtown) and about 5-10 minutes away from downtown.

If you visit, you should go to The Hill, an awesome Italian neighborhood with the BEST food. The Central West End is an awesome area and is right in WUSTL's backyard. There's a ton of great restaurants, awesome coffee shops, and cool houses. There's been a revitalization of downtown recently, with a lot of nightlife happening, on the Landing (downtown right off the River (that's the Mississippi to you non-natives)), and on Washington (the street). There's a lot of other awesome places.

WUSTL has what seems like a really committed career services office...when I visited they said they take into account where students want to go and they are currently developing relationships with firms on the west coast. It's easy to get a job anywhere in the midwest it seems and they have relationships with several firms on the east coast from what I remember (I want to practice in the midwest, so I didn't remember where the east coast connections were).

Not to be rude, but where are you from that you think St. Louis is the middle of nowhere?

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

Basically, St. Louis needs to go form its own state, just like Chicago does (the rest of Illinois is cornfields and most of the rest of Missouri, save Columbia, Kansas City and, to some extent, Jeff City is kind of bleh).

So I see you do agree that st. louis is in the middle of nowhere.  For what it's worth, I never said St. Louis was a boring city.  i'm sure it has great nightlife and the arts considering there's a major university in the area.  glad to know there's awesome italian food seeing as how that's my fav.  are you a current student there? 

also, when i said in the middle of nowhere, i meant in terms of major job prospects. considering that my entire post was about job prospects, i didn't think it'd be necessary to spell that out.  :P

Under those guidelines, I'd say that NYC is in the middle of nowhere. To me, saying something is in the middle of nowhere means that it's the only thing around. Kansas U I would say is in the middle of nowhere. WUSTL is in the middle of St. Louis and that's what I was getting at.

Getting jobs out of WUSTL not in St. Louis shouldn't be that hard. It's one of the best schools in the mid-west, so you'll have recruiters from all over the area (I asked specifically about getting a job in Chicago during my visit and my tour guide responded with an immediate "yes" like it would not be hard at all...and it was too immediate to be lip service). They claim to have tentacles out around the country and want to improve their career office to serve their students. I think they have connections in DC and NYC too but can't be sure.

And I'm not a student at WUSTL now, but I'm a born and raised St. Louisan. We're all very proud of our city. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:57 AM »

Basically, St. Louis needs to go form its own state, just like Chicago does (the rest of Illinois is cornfields and most of the rest of Missouri, save Columbia, Kansas City and, to some extent, Jeff City is kind of bleh).

So I see you do agree that st. louis is in the middle of nowhere.  For what it's worth, I never said St. Louis was a boring city.  i'm sure it has great nightlife and the arts considering there's a major university in the area.  glad to know there's awesome italian food seeing as how that's my fav.  are you a current student there? 

also, when i said in the middle of nowhere, i meant in terms of major job prospects. considering that my entire post was about job prospects, i didn't think it'd be necessary to spell that out.  :P

Under those guidelines, I'd say that NYC is in the middle of nowhere. To me, saying something is in the middle of nowhere means that it's the only thing around. Kansas U I would say is in the middle of nowhere. WUSTL is in the middle of St. Louis and that's what I was getting at.

Getting jobs out of WUSTL not in St. Louis shouldn't be that hard. It's one of the best schools in the mid-west, so you'll have recruiters from all over the area (I asked specifically about getting a job in Chicago during my visit and my tour guide responded with an immediate "yes" like it would not be hard at all...and it was too immediate to be lip service). They claim to have tentacles out around the country and want to improve their career office to serve their students. I think they have connections in DC and NYC too but can't be sure.

And I'm not a student at WUSTL now, but I'm a born and raised St. Louisan. We're all very proud of our city. :)

And I thought Texas pride was bad.  Here's hoping that st. louis pride isn't the 'small town pride' with their biggest ball of yarn crap. ;)   

HAHAHAHA...no. It's more of a "let me show you all the awesome parts of my city so you know about them too" inclusive pride (not the delusional, I'm better than you kind). The show-me state motto goes both ways (we want to both be shown and to be the show-ers).

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:58:51 AM »
st louis is a horrible city and wustl is NOT a top 20 school

WUSTL has what seems like a really committed career services office...when I visited they said they take into account where students want to go and they are currently developing relationships with firms on the west coast.

read: "our west coast placement is terrible."

thanks n00b

kirkcameronsgf

• Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 11:23:45 AM »
I'm worried about career placement in Dallas.  I asked about that at one of the online chats and whoever responded to me from the school said they are working on bringing their reach down there.  Either way, I didn't get a good feeling about it.  :-\

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
I get the feeling that WUSL is a really great school and very well funded and staffed as a result of the quality of the University as a whole.  I am sure it places very well in a number of nidwestern cities but I think the national reach is lacking as compared to other 15-30 schools.  I am most curious, though, about its placement in Chicago, as I do not have many schools with high levels of Chicago placement (though that market is last on the list of the 5-6 major markets I want to work in)

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:56:12 PM »
I get the feeling that WUSL is a really great school and very well funded and staffed as a result of the quality of the University as a whole.  I am sure it places very well in a number of nidwestern cities but I think the national reach is lacking as compared to other 15-30 schools.  I am most curious, though, about its placement in Chicago, as I do not have many schools with high levels of Chicago placement (though that market is last on the list of the 5-6 major markets I want to work in)

this is where it may be of some use to siff thru the trash to get to some good info on XO.

Afro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »
WUSTL? Washington University in St. Louis? Never heard of it.