Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS reports and LSAC's incompetence  (Read 1125 times)

jdub889

• View Profile
    • Email
LSDAS reports and LSAC's incompetence
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
So, first off, let me get this out of the way so I don't get flamed too badly. I'm an idiot, I waited until mid-January to send my transcripts to LSAC for inclusion in LSDAS reports. I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. Blah blah blah

Anyways. My transcript was postmarked January 17 from my university, meaning LSAC should have recieved it the 19th or so. It's now the 28th (most of my apps are due Feb 1) and I'm freaking out because my LSDAS reports still haven't gone out because LSAC hasn't updated them with my transcript. I'm going to go back and have my university overnight another transcript on Monday just in case it got lost in the mail (unlikely). What's going on? I called LSAC customer service last week about this and got a very unhelpful "we're probably just processing it still, don't worry," from their representative, but I can't just sit here while the deadline for my apps expires and the only thing holding them back is LSAC failing to process my transcript.

I'm half just venting, but if anyone has any idea how LSAC works in this regard and can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to have to take a year off and do the entire application process again just because LSAC couldn't process my transcript in two weeks.

Thanks,
Jeff

jdub889

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSDAS reports and LSAC's incompetence
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »
Sorry. I realize this is a slow time for LSAC because everyone is submitting stuff now, I didn't mean "incompetence." It just seems like if it's a slow time, bring in more people, get stuff done if people's applications deadlines depend on it.

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »
Sorry. I realize this is a slow time for LSAC because everyone is submitting stuff now, I didn't mean "incompetence." It just seems like if it's a slow time, bring in more people, get stuff done if people's applications deadlines depend on it.

Alas, processing can take time, and two weeks delay between a transcript being mailed by the school and it received AND processed by LSAC is not uncommon.  In my case with my 4 transcripts, I found that the status check at LSAC was of little help since they never indicated that LSAC received my transcripts until after they had already processed them for my report.  So for at least a few days, I know, LSAC had my transcripts, but they couldn't tell me if they did or not until someone entered all my grade information into my report.  The same may be the case for you.  Your transcript may have safely arrived, but it hasn't been processed.  In my case in early Jan. generally the process averaged 10 days from mailing to complete processing. 
Unfortunately, you might also be screwed cause schools have a deadline for your file to be complete, not with LSAC but with them- meaning after LSAC processes your transcripts and completes your file, it then has to be mailed to the particular schools you applied and ONLY after they receive AND process your report will your file be considered complete for the sake of the deadlines.  My report was mailed out by LSAC on Jan. 18th, and three schools have indicated my file is complete while 5 others have not.

On the bright side, some school's "complete file" deadline is different from their "application" deadline.  So since you have already applied to these schools, you might have already met their Feb. 1st deadline.  You might want to contact the school's to see if they do have two different deadlines.  With Florida, for example, I believe their application deadline was Jan. 15th, while their file completion deadline was March 1st.

Hope this helps and good luck

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:58:30 AM »
I understand your frustration, but when you made the choice to apply to law school, you should have looked at deadlines more carefully and evaluated your own situation. I'm sure you have already concluded the same (hence your disclaimer in the original post), but in your unique situation of having to process 4 transcripts during a period of heavy volume for LSAC, I wouldn't be surprised if it took twice as long as the "up to 10 days" you quoted. Meanwhile, sit tight. If you feel it has an adverse effect on your apps, you can always apply next year. I understand you want to go to law school this fall, but if that can't happen, trust me, you have plenty of options to work, travel and study in the next year, and the rest of your life to go to law school. Time flies when you're having fun.

Send in your apps and don't worry about it. Pick up a hobby, PT job or volunteer activity while you wait so you don't drive yourself and your family nuts.
Vanderbilt 2010

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
I understand your frustration, but when you made the choice to apply to law school, you should have looked at deadlines more carefully and evaluated your own situation. I'm sure you have already concluded the same (hence your disclaimer in the original post), but in your unique situation of having to process 4 transcripts during a period of heavy volume for LSAC, I wouldn't be surprised if it took twice as long as the "up to 10 days" you quoted. Meanwhile, sit tight. If you feel it has an adverse effect on your apps, you can always apply next year. I understand you want to go to law school this fall, but if that can't happen, trust me, you have plenty of options to work, travel and study in the next year, and the rest of your life to go to law school. Time flies when you're having fun.

Send in your apps and don't worry about it. Pick up a hobby, PT job or volunteer activity while you wait so you don't drive yourself and your family nuts.

I think you are mixing up my post with the thread starter.  I had the 4 transcripts (not the same transcript over and over but from 4 different schools). I'm not freaking out cause I'm meeting the deadlines.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out!  ;D

OP: As stated, you should have gotten everything in sooner. Just relax, apply and see what happens. You can't expect others to compensate for your lack of planning. It hasn't even been 10 business days since your school sent the transcripts. Schools may require your apps by Feb. 1, but most won't start pulling reports until the 15th. Techincally, if LSAC got it on the 19th, then I would call on Monday, Feb. 4 to inquire. Give them the time to do their job-- you know that you have submitted your files at the absolute busiest time of the year for LSAC. They are processing other late-comers, getting ready for the Feb LSAT, and processing normal requests from the law schools. It is a busy time for all. As someone else said, while you have a deadline to get them your application, they probably have a separate deadline for your LSAC report.
Vanderbilt 2010