Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UALR Bowen School of Law  (Read 894 times)

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
UALR Bowen School of Law
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
  I attended a pre-law day at UALR on Friday. First I must admit that I will probably not be attending there, but I still thought it might help some to hear of my visit. Clarence Thomas was visiting the law school on that day, by the way. UALR is a solid tier 3 school with many advantages. It sits in a federal district in the middle of a state capital. Though jobs in this area do not pay extremely well,they are plentiful as UALR's 96% employment rate will attest to. In addition, the cost of living here is extremely low. The school is VERY respected in Little Rock as most firm partners are UALR grads. In fact, I recently heard from a friend that graduated from Tulane that while trying to find work here, he was asked twice why, if he wanted to practice here, he had gone to Tulane. In both instances, he lost the jobs to UALR grads. There are imprtant issues for those with LSATs in the 148-155 range. Though they don't advertise this, they told us point blank that ALL non-residents receive a scholarship covering the difference between resident and non-resident tuition for the first year. Residence can be gained here within six months simply by obtaining a driver's license. In-state tuition is under $10K. The facilities are nice and I found the class of student to be surprisingly of better ilk than I had expected. Late applications are also seriously considered as they don't make many decisions until March. Things to consider....

Clara Bear

• View Profile
Re: UALR Bowen School of Law
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »
You said that the jobs in the area don't pay extremely well... Did they tell you what the average starting salary is for their graduates?  I'm planning to go to Bowen, but I haven't been able to find that information anywhere (not that it necessarily matters, because I know I want to stay in LR, regardless).

Also, thanks for the anecdote about the student from Tulane.  I've been feeling a little weird about not applying to some other (higher ranked) schools, but hearing that the firms around here might not really care about that certainly makes me feel better.

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:59:46 PM »
The average starting salary for Bowen is in now in the mid to high 50's for private firms and low to mid 40's for government work. The avg starting salaries thrown out can be misleading sometimes. T-14 schools have high averages, bu tend to all take jobs in NY, Boston, etc. There is a remarkable difference in COL. I can buy a nice 3BR house in Little Rock for $125K. The same house on Long Island would run $400K. $55K in Little Rock lets you live like about $95k in LA or NY

toxic tort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:51:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Root Hog. COL and also the number of hours worked inflates BIGLAW salaries. What's Little Rock like?

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Honestly? I grew up here until the age of 13 and returned five years ago to be near my father. He died four years ago and I'm still here at the age of 40. It's a town with enough people to have most of the conveniences. It's heavy on outdoor activities. It's affordable. The people are nice. Yet, having lived in KC, LA, St. Louis, Chicago, nashville, and Atlanta since then, I can't wait to get out of here. It's a blend of urban and rural. The line separating the two is very thin.

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
Honestly? I grew up here until the age of 13 and returned five years ago to be near my father. He died four years ago and I'm still here at the age of 40. It's a town with enough people to have most of the conveniences. It's heavy on outdoor activities. It's affordable. The people are nice. Yet, having lived in KC, LA, St. Louis, Chicago, nashville, and Atlanta since then, I can't wait to get out of here. It's a blend of urban and rural. The line separating the two is very thin.

Culture meets agriculture, huh?

Cheers,

Para  ;)
Hamline University School of Law
1L