Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who from my law firm  (Read 1465 times)

All*eggs=1basket

• View Profile
Who from my law firm
« on: September 08, 2004, 01:57:30 PM »
I have been trying to decide who from my law firm I should ask for my LOR. As soon as I think I have made up my mind, I change it again. Obviously I don't want to ask until I am totally sure. What do you guys think is more important, the prestige/status of the attorney within the firm (150+ attorneys) OR how well the attorney knows me and what my life (school, work, study habits, hobbies etc.)Here are a few sample choices:

Person A:  Senior Partner within firm, doesn't know me too well personally, but knows my work product. He's in Real Estate, not the most eloquent, is NYU alumni.
Person B: Partner in the firm. Intellectual property, doesn't know too much about my work product, but knows me quite well personally/socially. Would surely write a real nice rec. U of Illi alumni
Person C: Associate at the firm, litigation, knows me personally/socially and somewhat knows my work product. Has only been practicing for 2 years. Washington U (st. Louis) alumni

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINIONS!!
LSDAS GPA 3.71
LSAT 151
Deferred - Wayne State University

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who from my law firm
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »
I vote not C with confidence.  The associate is too new to hold much clout.

With less confidence, I think A might be better because he knows your work product.  However, you say that he's not eloquent; I don't know how much that matters, depending on his degree of ineloquence.  B isn't a bad choice, IMO, especially if you show him some examples of your work product to supplement his letter.  I'll let others vote, though...

Good luck!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

noell.sweet

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 02:19:35 PM »
I would go with B. :)

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 02:21:20 PM »
I would go for A, if you are applying to NYU. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
no on the baby associate. too young = too much like getting a rec from a friend.

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »
I would think A should be fine...just how ineloquent are we talking?  Have you seen his writing?  Sometimes people write infinitely better than they speak. 

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 03:51:29 PM »
I would not think that C is a horrible option.  At the Penn pre-law services, they always recommend getting recs from people that know you and your work rather than those you think would be more impressive to a law school.  In fact, they even go so far as recommending asking for recs from TA's over professors if you think they will write a more complete recommendation.  Same kind of age difference between you and a second year associate.  Of course, if you think either of the partners knows you just as well then stick with one of them.

All*eggs=1basket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 05:57:30 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has provided me with their advice so far!!!
Here are MY "justifications" for each:
Person A: Though I know he would write a good LOR, I don't know how good. He is a senior partner though, but I am not applying to NYU. He's not very organized and I fear that my request might not be a high priority for such a busy man.
Person B: He's a partner within the firm, I think he's about 38/39. I know he would write an excellent LOR, but he's more like a buddy to me. I play poker and have drinks with him and his friends once a month...CEO's and other local high-rollers. Like I said he's not extremely familiar with my work product, but I think he would just kinda make it up (in good faith) and maybe ask around the firm to confirm.

I think I have kinda ruled Person C out...he's a lot less experienced than Person B and doesn't really know me any better.

As of right now I am thinking I am going to go with B....
LSDAS GPA 3.71
LSAT 151
Deferred - Wayne State University

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 06:05:51 PM »
In light of your additional notes about A, I think B is a good option.  I also think you should provide him with examples of your work product instead of counting on his initiative to ask around the firm.  Show that you have the initiative, and that may work its way into the letter (not that you had the initiative to show him your work for the letter; just that you have initiative in general).
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

noell.sweet

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:11:31 PM »
I know many of these "Person A"s you mention, and considering what I have seen, and knowing that I file for a lot of these types of people (who oddly enough are also Senior Partners), I am going to say that you are right in that your request will not be a priority, and what's more, it may end up getting lost!  For examply, *I* know more about what is in their offices than they do.  That is scary.

So, like I said, before, go with B.  lol.

I'm a file clerk in a law firm, what's your occupation?  Paralegal?

Thank you to everyone who has provided me with their advice so far!!!
Here are MY "justifications" for each:
Person A: Though I know he would write a good LOR, I don't know how good. He is a senior partner though, but I am not applying to NYU. He's not very organized and I fear that my request might not be a high priority for such a busy man.
Person B: He's a partner within the firm, I think he's about 38/39. I know he would write an excellent LOR, but he's more like a buddy to me. I play poker and have drinks with him and his friends once a month...CEO's and other local high-rollers. Like I said he's not extremely familiar with my work product, but I think he would just kinda make it up (in good faith) and maybe ask around the firm to confirm.

I think I have kinda ruled Person C out...he's a lot less experienced than Person B and doesn't really know me any better.

As of right now I am thinking I am going to go with B....