Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College......BOOOO!!!!!!!  (Read 9714 times)

tdice7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boston College......BOOOO!!!!!!!
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »
Got my first rejection today from BC. No big deal, but I am worried that this doesn't speak well for my chances at my top choices such as Vanderbilt, Texas, and Michigan (longshot anyway). The main reason i'm pissed is it breaks my acceptance-only streak. Oh well, 6 for 7 isn't too bad.
Touchdown (Accepted): Miami, Tulane, U. of Cincinatti, Indiana, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Emory, Arizona, Wisconsin, Washington U.in SL, Illinois,
Stopped For No Gain (WL): Vanderbilt, Michigan, Virginia, USC,
Sacked (Rejected): Boston College, Texas,
First and ten (waiting):

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boston College......BOOOO!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:56:55 PM »
BC is a really finicky, hard to predict school.  While it is certainly frustrated to get rejected, I wouldn't take it as any indication of things to come.  Taking a look at LSN for this year or years past shows that BC is usually all over the place.  I have friends with 170+ and decent GPAs that were rejected by BC.  They really are just a crapshoot.

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »
BC is a really finicky, hard to predict school.  While it is certainly frustrated to get rejected, I wouldn't take it as any indication of things to come.  Taking a look at LSN for this year or years past shows that BC is usually all over the place.  I have friends with 170+ and decent GPAs that were rejected by BC.  They really are just a crapshoot.

Totally, what 617 said.  Don't take BC's rejection as indicative of anything at all.  Is there anyone that actually goes to BC that can explain their admissions philosophy? 
Yale 2010

tdice7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »
I think BC is heavily into soft factors this cycle. I've found several people who got in who have both lower GPAs and LSATs than me, but most of them are varsity athletes, non-traditionals, or spent time in the military.
Touchdown (Accepted): Miami, Tulane, U. of Cincinatti, Indiana, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Emory, Arizona, Wisconsin, Washington U.in SL, Illinois,
Stopped For No Gain (WL): Vanderbilt, Michigan, Virginia, USC,
Sacked (Rejected): Boston College, Texas,
First and ten (waiting):

na56

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »
If that gives you any relief, last year my son was rejected at BC but accepted at UVA and waitlisted at Columbia, NYU, and Penn. He is in UVA now.

GMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
I was waited at BC w/ sub par numbers.  I think the soft factors are the key.

client228

• Drinking the pain away~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 10:24:35 PM »
I, too, got my first reject of the cycle from BC.

Oh~well... hopefully BU will show me some love soon.
I've been having so much problem with mail that my rejection was dated 1/31 and I got the damn letter today!

Current Mood: Worried... :(
Hiro Nakamura (attending):
Peter Petrelli (accepted): Ohio State, Wake Forest, University of Wisconsin, George Mason, Seton Hall, Cardozo Yeshiva, UConn
Issac Mendez (wait/def): Fordham, UMN, WUSTL, UNC
Niki Sanders (Rejected) BC, U Tex, Notre Dame, Northwester, U Chicago

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:31:10 PM »
I got dinged from BC too.

Then again, my LSAT was decidedly subpar, and my soft factors probably not cushy enough for them, so I really wasn't surprised in the least.

At least you got your other acceptances to bank on :-). Still, BC is such a gorgeous school, though...OK that probably doesn't help, sorry ;)

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
For what it's worth, I've always heard they weigh the GPA a lot more heavily than most schools. 

mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 08:10:26 PM »
I think BC is heavily into soft factors this cycle. I've found several people who got in who have both lower GPAs and LSATs than me, but most of them are varsity athletes, non-traditionals, or spent time in the military.

This is how all schools should do their admissions.