Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Mormon BYU 1L taking questions  (Read 6774 times)

kdubspoon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non-Mormon BYU 1L taking questions
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 09:40:11 PM »
I will do what I can to find out about an admitted students week.

If you do want to come down and visit the school, you are more than welcome to set one up through the admissions director GaeLynn Kutcher. If you want a less structured/more-unoficial visit, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can set that up.

Keep the questions coming folks. This has turned out to be a very good thread so far.

Spoon

Tron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »
Thanks Papa Bear and Spoon. I didn't know if they had one or not, so that is good to know that I should stop waiting for an invite...

I have a friend who is a 1L there and I think I'll just bug him to show me around. If I feel like I want a more structured feel after that then I'll set one up.

GMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
You ever run into a Kevin Hoffan or Corland Andrews?  Both are members of your class.

sertag

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »
When do applicants normally hear back about their decision?  I was complete on Nov 10 and have yet to get a decision.  I communicated with GaeLynn (she's awesome and so sweet) and she said that the committee is very interested in me.  Would you know if that means that they're leaning towards accepting me or is it still neutral?  Thanks!
JHG

kdubspoon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »
You ever run into a Kevin Hoffan or Corland Andrews?  Both are members of your class.

Yeah! I know both of them fairly well. They're great guys! Really bright!

Spoon

kdubspoon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
When do applicants normally hear back about their decision?  I was complete on Nov 10 and have yet to get a decision.  I communicated with GaeLynn (she's awesome and so sweet) and she said that the committee is very interested in me.  Would you know if that means that they're leaning towards accepting me or is it still neutral?  Thanks!

Generally, the vast majority of decisions don't start hitting until February. I didn't hear anything until March.

Although I have no way of knowing what the committee is going to do; if GaeLynn told you that they are "very interested", I would assume that information bodes well for you. GaeLynn is a really honest and upfront person. If you had no shot, or only a small shot. She'd tell you.

Spoon

sertag

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »
wow, she would tell you if they're not interested!  that's awesome - that she's so honest and upfront.  Okay, so I'll just have to wait a little bit longer.  Thank you very much!
JHG

Burnanator

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2007, 01:50:24 AM »
I have a few questions:

[1] How many tax law courses are offered? Do many students seem interested in this field?

[2] What sort of government agencies recruit at BYU Law? (DOJ, FBI, CIA, State AG's, White House, Military, etc.)

[3] I know you've discussed the competitive atmosphere at length, but what is the "feel" of the student body? Is it tense? Do people wear rank on their sleeves? Although grades are distributed in private envelopes, are ranks posted in public areas? What's reported to employers--GPA, percentile, or raw rank?

[4] To be competitive, what is a realistic estimate of time invested in out-of-classroom study? (I would probably be shooting for the top 1/3, but not top 10) I am married, expecting twins in June, and want to "be around" for my family without sacrificing GPA. I know this can vary significantly for different people, but what should I expect?

[5] You mentioned some "BIGLAW" firms recruiting at the school, do you have some specific examples? Are they generally looking for only one or two candidates?

Thanks,
BNS
Wisdom begins in wonder.
            - Socrates

park7

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 12:34:58 AM »
As another 1L at BYU, I agree with everything that Spoon has said. I probably shouldn't be killing time like this, but I was sick of studying and thought I'd check out these sites that I used to cruise around last year as I was going through the application process. 

I had to jump in and reply to Burnanator's question because my wife had twins in June before my 1L year.  Shoot me an email if you'd like, but here's my shot at the questions in addition to any that Spoon might add.

1. BYU has a listing of the classes they teach on their website under Students -> Course Materials.  I'm not all that impressed with the offereing of tax classes, but I can't remember exactly how many there are off the top of my head.  I personally have interest in the area and I know of a handful of others in our class that are interested.  In fact, I believe the dean said during orientation that Accounting was the most represented major.

2. I've seen JAG, and the State AG on campus.

3. No posting in public places; it probably depends on each person's individual take on the subject and exactly who you hang around with.  For 1L spring OCI's we voted to exclude rank from applications and only listed our GPA.  I'm not sure if the CSO will throw it out to vote again in the fall.

4. Depends on the class.  I feel good about Contracts, Criminal law, and Torts in just an hour sometimes, but for Con law and Civil procedure I feel like I'm not ready unless I put in about three. Writing & Advocacy vary depending on what's due. Probably depends on the person too. So looking at my schedule I'm looking at about an average of 35 hours a week outside of class before I feel good about things, but I probably never get that many in. 

I pray your twins are healthy.  We had one hospitalized for about a week during the first semester and they weren't sleeping through the night yet either.  It affected me and my GPA. You'll have to face the fact that you will not be able to put in as much time as the single students can.  And with a brilliant, hardworking class, you can really find yourself in despair if think too hard about grades.  But I landed just outside the top third so your approach is the right one to take.  You have no choice but to take what you can get your first year and make it up in the next two.

Take the Religion/Law professional seminar offered in the first semester; it will help you keep perspective on life (It's not as churchy as you might think and would be a non-threatening way for a curious nonmember to see the mormon perspective that you don't see in other classes).  Don't be afraid to say you are unprepared when called on in class; I've had days where there was just too much of a need at home and I didn't get the reading done.  None of the professors will push you if you're not prepared.  Things will start to be more bareable as you get through the first semester.   Again, drop me an email if you have more questions.

5. I'm probably not qualified to answer this one.

Good luck!

Don Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
Whatever happened to this dude, I wonder if everything is still going well for him?