Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Waitlist  (Read 33699 times)

Anti_Ivy

Re: Georgetown Waitlist
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 02:49:42 PM »
Do you know something we don't? As far as I know, the automatic admit and deny cutoffs are kept strictly confidential. So, by viewing your index against a possible Max. Index or 75% index, an applicant can get an idea of their chances, but they can never know for sure.

A few years ago, a mutual acquaintance applied to law school.  He found a website that was similar to lawschoolnumbers and this site.  According to him, the site had law applicants’ index numbers and said whether or not they were admitted to each school (for all top 20 schools).  By using that, along with the applicants’ stats, the webmaster (creator??) was able to figure out the for-sures/no-ways.  I've looked for that site for the last couple of months, but I cannot find it. Maybe he also used what you described, the 25/75% thingy.

Perhaps they do not publish their indexes because they do not want other top schools to know how their admissions procedures are tailored to help them move up in the rankings. In any case, they are using some sort of GPA/LSAT index, even if they do not use a fixed numerical one.

I never said that law schools did not use a LSAT/UGPA index.  I just made a point of saying that UGPA/LSAT scores are not the only factors used in the admissions process. 

You may very well be right about the schools using secrecy to move up in rankings.  I do not know too much about index numbers, nor do I plan to put much thought into mine when I apply.

sleek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2004, 10:09:58 PM »
Hi everyone,
My 2 cents...
I was also priority waitlisted at Georgetown. I did receive the email and they cc'ed the list instead of bcc'ing it. There were only about 25 addresses on the list I received. I did submit a letter of recommendation from a former alum, to possibly support that assessment. I had a 3.79 with a 168 from a very small undergrad. I wish everyone luck with their admissions, provided they leave me a space!

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 02:41:57 AM »
Hi guys,

I just got my preffered waitlist letter in the mail today. And they definitely do keep track of times that you contact the admissions office. I happened to be in DC while my app was still being processed so I stopped by the office to see if I could ask questions. The guy I talked to was very nice, but I didn't think he even remembered my name. I sent him a thank you email. Well... in my letter it said that if I had any questions or concerns I could continue to communicate with my "contact" in the admissions office, and then it listed him by name.

Also, my letter says something like, "...and the committee has identified you as one of the first applicants we will contact in the event of an opening." Do other people's PWL letters say this too?

Anyway, I wrote back and told them they were my first choice (which is true), and I'm having another professor send a new letter of recommendation to add to my file. Until then I think I'll be putting my deposit down at Wash U.

Oh, in case it's interesting, I'm a 3.34/169 from Wash U.

DC Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »
Hey Taterstol,

When did you graduate from Wash U? I graduated in 2002 with a 3.78 - got a 167 on the LSAT.  I'm on the "regular" waitlist at G-town.  No offense, but it's amazing what a difference 2 points on the LSAT can make.

Anyway, good luck with it.  I haven't stopped by to see them, but I will soon since I live in DC.  In the meantime I went to Preview Day at GWU and was happy enough to give them my first deposit.. I'm very impressed with how much Wash U Law has moved up in the rankings!  Similar, but not quite as drastic, as the undergrad's movement over the last few years.

GPA:  3.78
LSAT: 167

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »
Hi DC Waiting,

I'm still at Wash U--I'm a senior this year. And yes, I am also amazed by what a couple points on the LSAT can do. I was expecting to hear a no from gtown, actually. My GPA is just too low... so I was pleasantly surprised to get the letter. I have a lot of extracurriculars, so maybe that helped.

I also applied to GW--haven't heard anything from them yet (I applied pretty late everywhere). I think I'll be making my deposit at Wash U though becasue they gave me $$, and if it comes to it, St. Louis is an easy, cheap place to live. But if Georgetown calls I'm on my way!

skotval

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2004, 11:22:01 PM »
I am officially mailing in my "thanks, but no thanks" card to Georgetown tomorrow.... Good luck... Hope one of you gets my spot!!

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »
ooh! pick me! pick me!

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2004, 10:12:48 AM »
Thanks Skotval,

I was just PWL'd there on Saturday.  This couldn't hurt our chances.

rextuxberry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 07:27:35 PM »
I am declining my offer of admissions to Gtown, good luck you guys.

DC Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2004, 07:40:47 AM »
Anyone else get an email from G-town last week saying that you are "in a group of students whose applications they will be reviewing in the next few weeks"? 

I called the admin office, and they said there are approximately 100 people on each waitlist (priority and general).  I said this sounded low, and she said that, well, that's not how many they originally put on but rather that's how many have expressed continued interest and have not asked to be removed.  She also said that technically they look at the priority list first, but that inevitably there are people from the general list who are looked at and even admitted.  Since I am on the general list, I'm hoping this is true.  After all, they did say I was being reveiwed "in the next few weeks" but I'm thinking they probably sent the same email to everyone.

Any other experiences?  I think I'm going to start calling them once a week.
GPA:  3.78
LSAT: 167