Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Waitlist  (Read 32311 times)

DC Waiting

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 01:13:58 PM »
Georgetown 1st Choice:

Yes, that is VERY strange that it says the PWL is so much bigger.. I am starting to conclude that everything Georgetown does defies logic.

Also, I have read in the Princeton Review forum of someone else getting the "email" from G-town, saying they'll get back to them in a week.. I mean, seriously, what the hell are they doing?  Is this all some kind of psycological BS?
GPA:  3.78
LSAT: 167

LAgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »
kevinc

Hi I am also on the PWL at Georgetown, but after hearing the stats, doesn't sound like it really makes a difference which list you're on (both seem to accept <10%)...

I am also waiting back on UCLA (top choice) - do you have any idea when we should expect to hear back??  i submitted my app back in dec... it doesn't seem like the school has rejected anyone yet (at least from lawschoolnumbers.com).

DC Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 08:17:17 AM »
Dunno Law,

Thanks for the info, but this article appears to be talking exclusively about undergraduate programs, and the quote seems to refer to G-town undergrad.

Speedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 05:16:21 PM »
Hey,

I dont think its right to assume less then 168 u got no shot.  I have a 3.8/166 and am on the PWL.  Luckily I got into UCLA so I am not that disappointed, however being a lazy senior I am struggling to send out continued letters of interest.  Anyone else in my situation waitlisted to like 5 schools but to lazy to do stuff.  Oh LaGirl UCLA started sending back stuff like late february for kids who applied in like early novemeber so dotn worry if you havent heard back yet.  I sent my appl like october 20 and heard back late Feb so u should be fine.

skotval

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 06:30:15 PM »
kevinc:  I heard back that I got into Georgetown, but I'm not too sure that the reason I got that email was because I was overqualified... My LSAT score was high (175) but my GPA was a very average 3.44.  I did however get a handwritten note from Andy Cornblatt on my acceptance saying something about my "campus involvement" so apparently they like extra-curriculars.  Like LAgirl, I am waiting to hear from UCLA.  USC also.  Once I hear from those schools I will be able to make a decision.  Hopefully I can open up a spot for one of you!

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 08:15:07 PM »
Dunno Law,

Thanks for the info, but this article appears to be talking exclusively about undergraduate programs, and the quote seems to refer to G-town undergrad.

sorry about that...I'll delete the message in order to prevent further misinformation.  Sorry again.

DC Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 09:07:46 AM »
Anyone know what's up with Georgetown not using an Admission Index formula?  I checked on lsac.org at the report they sent to G-town for me, and unlike the other schools, there is no Index number given...

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 11:02:33 AM »
Anyone know what's up with Georgetown not using an Admission Index formula?  I checked on lsac.org at the report they sent to G-town for me, and unlike the other schools, there is no Index number given...

No idea about the index.

Not all schools use one (the better the private schools, the lesser indexes are used). Public schools tend to over-rely on indexes and numbers.

Actually, according to How to Get into the Top Law Schools by Richard Montauk, Stanford, Georgetown, and other top 20 law schools do not RELEASE their admissions indexes.  Those schools do use indexes and numbers, but they just do not share them with us.  I think not sharing indexes is a better idea then releasing index numbers, because then the schools won't have to change their numbers to keep applicants from knowing their odds.  If an applicant knows a certain school's index number automatic admit/cut, s/he may have confidence/disappointment that is unfounded.  After all, index numbers do not include LORís, work experience, volunteerism, essay(s), and other non-numerical factors.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »
If an applicant knows a certain school's index number automatic admit/cut, s/he may have confidence/disappointment that is unfounded.  After all, index numbers do not include LORís, work experience, volunteerism, essay(s), and other non-numerical factors.

Do you know something we don't? As far as I know, the automatic admit and deny cutoffs are kept strictly confidential. So, by viewing your index against a possible Max. Index or 75% index, an applicant can get an idea of their chances, but they can never know for sure.

Secodly, as far as cutoffs go, I am sure that at most schools, the vast majority of applicants fall into the 'maybe' pile. Rest assured that most schools, if not all, actually consider in full the vast majority of applications that come accross their desks (in fact, probably all applications are considered in full).

Thirdly, cutoffs are good, both for the school and the applicant. They help the school build the type of student body that will be beneficial to them (i.e., high LSAT's and GPA's), and they help the student by making it easier for the AdCom to review their application (thus enabling a decision to be made more quickly).

Lastly, I am sure that schools that do not use (or use unpublished) indexes are still using GPA and LSAT as the two major criteria when deciding whether to admit or deny an applicant. Perhaps they do not publish their indexes because they do not want other top schools to know how their admissions procedures are tailored to help them move up in the rankings. In any case, they are using some sort of GPA/LSAT index, even if they do not use a fixed numerical one.

Chris

skotval

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 12:22:26 PM »
Thanks for the congrats!  I'll definitely let you know when I decide.  As for the number of applications, Georgetown got around 13,000 this year.  I was pretty shocked to hear that because it's at least 2 or 3 times what most schools get! (Or at least most other schools I applied to...)