Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DoJ jobs...top school choices?  (Read 7107 times)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: DoJ jobs...top school choices?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »
Vaplaugh provided an incredibly accurate summary of the pros and cons, and was right on the money in saying that the pros outweigh any cons.

I worked at the US Attorneys Office in DC for 6 months as a UG intern.  I came in there expecting to be doing document review, pulling discovery info, etc...
What I got was astounding.  For the first week or so while I was getting acclimated, they trained me, and had me do basic stuff like discovery.  Then one of the attorneys got wind that I was a good writer, and familiar with legal writing, research, and citation.  A couple prosecutors came to my desk asking me if I could respond to motions that they couldn't because of a trial, meetings, etc... I was amazed that they would hand that kind of responsibility to a UG intern, but I happily did the first few I got.  Apparently they really liked what I did, because from then on every day I came in to find like 10 motions stacked on my desk waiting to be responded to.  I also got to basically take charge (with oversight of my mentor of course) of the organization of a substantial fraud case, and was at the bench helping with jury selection 2 weeks later, and sitting at counsel's table through the trial (thanks to the judge who allowed it).

Basically what I'm trying to get across is that I got a lot of substantive and interesting work/responsibility as an undergrad intern.  When you have a job there, they actually give you things to do - there's really never any boredom.  It's a fantastic place to work, and I hear that many DoJ jobs are very similar in that respect.  I would highly recommend looking into it seriously if you are interested.

They don't hire right out of law school typically (at least at USAO), but if you get a clerkship it's very possible to get a job coming off of that.  There are a lot of laterals from private firms, but even more from other gov agencies.

Good luck

midgetpiggyback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
Great information. Does anyone know much about the summer internship program? I'm specifically interested in working with the Antitrust Division in Atlanta. I'm top 20% at a low T1 with an educational background in finance and business. Do any of you know what they would be looking for with interns?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
Tag - this is quite possibly the single most informative thread I've ever read on LSD.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »
Tag - this is quite possibly the single most informative thread I've ever read on LSD.

Agreed (tag)
U Chi '09

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »
Anyone here part of the incoming class of 2010 and looking to end up at the US Attorney's office for the SDNY?  If so, let's be friends.
Yale.Law.School.2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »
Great information. Does anyone know much about the summer internship program? I'm specifically interested in working with the Antitrust Division in Atlanta. I'm top 20% at a low T1 with an educational background in finance and business. Do any of you know what they would be looking for with interns?

One of the attorneys I work with interviewed candidates for both honors program and internships.  So, I assume they look for the same things: good grades, law review, moot court, previous internships / work experience.  I'm not aware of any specific requirements or grade cutoffs for interns.  Our summer interns last year came from American, Tulane, Columbia, and Georgetown.

Similar to firm summer associates, DOJ summer interns often return to the DOJ after law school.  However, landing a summer internship is definitely not as much of a "free ride" into employment after law school.  The interns (at least in my section) aren't asked to come back - they have to apply again through the honors program.  However, you generate a DOJ performance review file, so if you do good summer work it should be known to your honors program interviewers.  If anyone on these boards has worked as an intern and had a different experience (i.e. was specifically asked to come back), I would be most interested in the news.

Summer internships are unpaid.  But again, this may be different with each agency.  Our section provides a $1000 travel budget per intern.  So, you will likely have opportunities to travel for  trials/depositions/expert meetings/etc.

Because 1) the internships are unpaid, and 2) internships do not guarantee honors program employment, the attorney-interviewer I mentioned earlier told me that it is much more advantageous for 2L students to take a high-paying firm job in the summer (if they have the opportunity) rather than come to DOJ.  This does two things: 1) puts an early dent in your debt, which will be a must if you start off at $60K with DOJ, and 2) lines up your alternative employer if your honors program application doesn't work out.  If you intern as a 2L for DOJ, you're putting all your eggs in one basket because you apply for the honors program as a 3L.  If you can intern the summer after your first year, that would be ideal.

midgetpiggyback

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 09:52:12 PM »
Thanks for your help vaplaugh. I'll definitely apply for this summer, although it sounds like a long shot.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:53 PM »
If anyone is really interested in the DOJ you should buy the book great places to work with a law degree. It has a huge section on the DOJ. It talks about who they look for when they hire people. It also has job discriptions from 2 employees in different departments. The lady who wrote the book thought working for the DOJ was the best place to work as a lawyer.

I guess if u dont feel like dropping the money u could prob go to a barnes and nobles and read that section in about 25 or 30 minutes.
Attending: OU

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 06:44:12 AM »
Is DOJ like the FBI/CIA in terms of security clearence reqs? 
Princeton Law 2010

zoom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »