Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU Law or Texas Tech JD/ MBA  (Read 2315 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: SMU Law or Texas Tech JD/ MBA
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:06 PM »
You can e-mail both schools and request a list of the on-campus interviewing employers (and post them here, please!). I was unable to find these on their websites.  The comparison should give you an idea if the BigLaw firms value SMU's location and/or ranking above Texas Tech.

Though, for BigLaw, I'm guessing you will still need to be in roughly the same top % of the class at either school.

EDIT:  And that deposit at Texas Tech should be refundable until the first week in April. If you're still unsure, just pay it for safekeeping.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »
SMU. Although I'm sure there are some law firms that take Tech Law grads, I know of one BigLaw firm that will actually throw any student from Tech's file in the trash automatically (and for those of you who know me or have figured out which firm I work for, the firm in question is NOT the one I work for). If I were you I would try to contact any lawyer who you know and ask for their advice. I'm guessing almost all will tell you to go with SMU. Plus Dallas vs. Lubbock? Easy choice.
W&L Class of 2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
SMU. Although I'm sure there are some law firms that take Tech Law grads, I know of one BigLaw firm that will actually throw any student from Tech's file in the trash automatically (and for those of you who know me or have figured out which firm I work for, the firm in question is NOT the one I work for). If I were you I would try to contact any lawyer who you know and ask for their advice. I'm guessing almost all will tell you to go with SMU. Plus Dallas vs. Lubbock? Easy choice.

Which firm throws out Tech students' applications?

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »
A well known firm in Austin that may or may not have offices elsewhere, but is not the law firm for which I work. That's all I can really say.
W&L Class of 2010

utgis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 05:43:42 PM »
Interesting, thank you all for the replies, sometimes it's great to hear other opinions. I sent my deposit today, and that is def. where I will be attending. What firm could it be?? Ill take a guess...Clark Thomas and Winters : / . 
LSAT 164
GPA 3.0

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »
Close, but no cigar.
W&L Class of 2010

canticleoftheplains

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm here to learn, not to make out with you.
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »
Here's SMU's list of firms with a very nice stat of which ones are hiring 1Ls...

http://career.law.smu.edu/documents/FirmsHiring1LsforSummer2007-Final.pdf
(a)I am the smartest man alive! - W&L$, SMU$, Baylor$$$, UH$
(w)Was it the Penguin?  Did he put you up to this? - UT, NW, Vandy
(p)TT-TTT-T-TT-Today, junior! - W&M

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jackdaniel

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »
I think I'll get into SMU, but I just can't believe how expensive it is.
Going to W&L!

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
If you got offered a scholarship at IU-B you'll probably receive one from SMU as well.
W&L Class of 2010

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 02:16:26 PM »
Hm....I see I'm a little late on this thread.

I'm currently a 1L at Tech and I love it here.  The students are top notch (intellectually and in terms of friendliness), the professors are terrific and Tech is on the upswing in terms of reputation.

Location is a hinderance, but if you are motivated it shouldn't stop you.  I've already lined up my summer clerkship.

I saw that you sent in a deposit already, but have you sworn off Tech yet?  I really don't think you should.  If you have any Qs, PM me.  I'd love to talk to you.  I can also try and put you in touch with a friend of mine at SMU if you are set there.