Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about DUI  (Read 3260 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question about DUI
« on: September 08, 2004, 10:24:09 AM »
I was arested for a DUI and Possession of marijuana.  The dope was not mine.  Anyways, I represented myself at the hearing and got the DUI dropped to a reckless driving offense and the marijuana charged dropped completely.  How do you tell a law school that without turning them away?  Help Please.  Thanks!
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question about DUI
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 11:21:54 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

anumi

• Micky Dicky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 11:24:22 AM »
I was arested for a DUI and Possession of marijuana.  The dope was not mine.  Anyways, I represented myself at the hearing and got the DUI dropped to a reckless driving offense and the marijuana charged dropped completely.  How do you tell a law school that without turning them away?  Help Please.  Thanks!

when did this happen?

anumi

• Micky Dicky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:26:37 AM »
its going to come down largely to when this occured. some schools (GULC for one) only inquire about convictions, in which case i highly doubt a reckless driving conviction will keep you out of law school, regardless of the date.  for schools that ask for charges and convictions, you will probably (in my estimation) have a problem if the offense is less then 3 years old.

anumi

• Micky Dicky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 11:28:21 AM »
but even then, if you can show you are reformed and have done some volunteer work or something similar, have good LORs, etc.  i think as long as its been 2 years you might be ok.  this is highly subjective and will depend on particular people in adcoms.  i think if its a recent event, you should definitely focus on schools that only ask about convictions.

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 11:37:09 AM »
Yeah, it was 2001.  I do have great LOR's and I mentor kindergarden kids and coach a little league baseball team.  I hope they understand. 

anumi

• Micky Dicky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 11:41:25 AM »
Yeah, it was 2001.  I do have great LOR's and I mentor kindergarden kids and coach a little league baseball team.  I hope they understand. 

i think you will be ok.

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 12:29:21 PM »
Anyone else with suggestions

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 12:37:12 PM »
Yeah, update the line below your avatar - June 14 has come and gone.

Don't mention 'the dope wasn't mine' - my first reaction was disbelief because 'everybody says that'.  Coming forward with the truth is always the best course in your application.  Hopefully you've learned from your mistakes and can enlighten the adcomm on this.

anumi

• Micky Dicky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 12:44:43 PM »
Yeah, update the line below your avatar - June 14 has come and gone.

Don't mention 'the dope wasn't mine' - my first reaction was disbelief because 'everybody says that'.  Coming forward with the truth is always the best course in your application.  Hopefully you've learned from your mistakes and can enlighten the adcomm on this.

right, dont try to explain the mariJ, the fact is that the charge was dropped anyway.