Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?  (Read 8640 times)

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »
Also, on campus housing at Harvard is atrocious when compared to Stanford.

I can vouch for this

How atrocious?  Is it livable?  I don't care as long as it's livable.
Harvard 2010

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
I do like that Yale thinks I'm special  :D. But I also like the small class size for other reasons. Everyone I've talked to at Yale lists the class size as something they like and that contributes to a warm, close-knit community. I don't know, it just sounds really nice. I don't need more than 200 people to find friends from, and it will be nice to know everyone, at least by name and face.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »

I can vouch for this

I wrote a long post about this before in the HLS 1L thread and I'll see if I can find it later but to quickly sum up:

its livable, relatively cheap, and some people like it - I'm just not one of them.  I've been spoiled by really nice dorms and these are kinda depressing (old, crappy furniture, delapidated, etc), very small, and have no amenities - my dorm doesn't even have cable (you can pay extra to get it).  I also drive so the fact that there is no dorm parking bothers me a lot.  But again, some people like it.
HLS '09

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

I can vouch for this

I wrote a long post about this before in the HLS 1L thread and I'll see if I can find it later but to quickly sum up:

its livable, relatively cheap, and some people like it - I'm just not one of them.  I've been spoiled by really nice dorms and these are kinda depressing (old, crappy furniture, delapidated, etc), very small, and have no amenities - my dorm doesn't even have cable (you can pay extra to get it).  I also drive so the fact that there is no dorm parking bothers me a lot.  But again, some people like it.

Oh, I'll find it myself, then.  I used to avoid those threads.
Harvard 2010

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
My current dorm room has holes in the wall, horrible furniture (my clothing is forever locked away in a dresser drawer that simply will not longer open) and not even the option for cable TV (plus the heat causes the pipes in my room to bang in the wee hours of the night/morning, causing me to lose a substantial amount of sleep every night).

By comparison, the (crappy) HLS dorms sound palacial. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2007, 02:54:37 PM »
Also, Harvard's buildings are significantly uglier than Y or S.  There are some gorgeous onces, but overall, there's just no cohesion.  Having said that, we do have a tons of them and our own campus, which I prefer to a single building. Still, if our buildings were people, you'd definitely regret sleeping with them as you walked home in the morning.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »
that's why i'm in love with the size of harvard

That's what she said!

Also, my school also has a Pass/Fail for first semester system which I can say saved my chances of getting into a top law school (my gpa would have suffered pretty significantly were it not for that policy), but I do feel well prepared for the rigors of law school and think that I'll be fine immersing myself in a graded environment immediately.  Besides, everyone from HYS gets amazing jobs, regardless of their position.  This helps mitigate the advantages of having a HP/P/LP/F system or something similar like they have at Yale (and Berkeley).

i would love to have that sort of confidence but i don't know why i'm worried about being the stupidest person at harvard. of course, that would also translate to being the stupidest person at yale, but i'm okay with being stupid with passes instead of being stupid with C's. i am aware this is entirely irrational.

does yale have dorms? and -- silly question alert! -- can i paint them? [i am serious -- i'm particular about environment]

the small class size scares me because i've never really been in a *tiny* environment -- my high school was about 560 a class, and UG is about 1100 a class (which still feels tiny sometimes, because everyone knows everyone else's business). i can't imagine going to such a tiny place, particularly in light of the commentary that law school is sort of like high school all over again. "tight, close-knit community" can translate into "ohmygod, leave me alone you crazy people" pretty quickly (you know, sort of like family).

do you think there's a huge difference in terms of social environment at Y v H? i don't know why i have this picture of yalies diligently poring over books and having philosophical conversations over tea, while harvard kids are like staging a coup and getting into arguments. intellectuals vs. movers-and-shakers, i guess? i don't know.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

That's what she said!

Also, my school also has a Pass/Fail for first semester system which I can say saved my chances of getting into a top law school (my gpa would have suffered pretty significantly were it not for that policy), but I do feel well prepared for the rigors of law school and think that I'll be fine immersing myself in a graded environment immediately.  Besides, everyone from HYS gets amazing jobs, regardless of their position.  This helps mitigate the advantages of having a HP/P/LP/F system or something similar like they have at Yale (and Berkeley).

i would love to have that sort of confidence but i don't know why i'm worried about being the stupidest person at harvard. of course, that would also translate to being the stupidest person at yale, but i'm okay with being stupid with passes instead of being stupid with C's. i am aware this is entirely irrational.

does yale have dorms? and -- silly question alert! -- can i paint them? [i am serious -- i'm particular about environment]

the small class size scares me because i've never really been in a *tiny* environment -- my high school was about 560 a class, and UG is about 1100 a class (which still feels tiny sometimes, because everyone knows everyone else's business). i can't imagine going to such a tiny place, particularly in light of the commentary that law school is sort of like high school all over again. "tight, close-knit community" can translate into "ohmygod, leave me alone you crazy people" pretty quickly (you know, sort of like family).

do you think there's a huge difference in terms of social environment at Y v H? i don't know why i have this picture of yalies diligently poring over books and having philosophical conversations over tea, while harvard kids are like staging a coup and getting into arguments. intellectuals vs. movers-and-shakers, i guess? i don't know.

If I remember correctly, the dorm rooms at Yale are absolutely amazing.  The social experience at Yale is probably comparable to that of HLS, though there's probably less diversity of opinion, as Yale as a reputation for being highly liberal (which is clearly either a liability or an asset depending on your viewpoint).
Yale.Law.School.2010

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »

That's what she said!

If I remember correctly, the dorm rooms at Yale are absolutely amazing.  The social experience at Yale is probably comparable to that of HLS, though there's probably less diversity of opinion, as Yale as a reputation for being highly liberal (which is clearly either a liability or an asset depending on your viewpoint).

I heard that there are only about 15 amazing dorms at Yale available to 1Ls.  And perhaps even fewer this year.  Not exaggerating.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
SERIOUSLY?!

everyone else has to live off-campus? that's balls.

FIFTEEN?!

what about upperclassmen? do they live in the dorms?