Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?  (Read 8942 times)

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2007, 01:18:01 AM »
You'll spend plenty of time with the grad students you want to be with.  There will be some JD/MBAs in your section who already spent a year at the b-school (and some who will do so next year) so you can meet their friends.  I hang out with various PhD students who I know through various channels, but that's just because of my well-established dislike of law students.

And yeah, there's a ton of things wrong with this place, but very few that are wrong with it and aren't wrong with SY as well.  The most glaring weakness to me is the lack of a labor law program/associated clinical, which I just can't for the life of me understand (Yale stole Christine Jolls and Harvard seems to be dragging its feet on this one).  Also, we're going to get a fuckton of snow tonight, which I'm not thrilled about and my friends at Berkley are teasing me about.  Then again, I grew up here, so it's nothing I can't handle...but every now and then, I wish I could move the city of Cambridge to Oakland.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2007, 01:29:51 AM »
i hate the cold, so i'm going to be freezing at both H and Y, just like i froze my ass off for the past four years -- so i'll handle it (by handle i mean: wear snowsuit and ten layers of thermals).

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »
Also, on campus housing at Harvard is atrocious when compared to Stanford.

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2007, 01:44:37 AM »
And nerdphanie, I was speaking more of laypeople's opinions, which I think is inherent in the notion of prestige.  Neither of these schools will put you at a disadvantage internationally.  Yale kids will tell you that the smaller size increases demand as firms want at least one Yale grad.  Harvard kids will tell you that the larger class size leads to better connections which trumps everything in the end.  It's probably a wash.

I guess that is what prestige is on one level, but employers are prestige whores of a different sort. They would take a mediocre Yale student over a top student from a t2 school.
But well said. I think there are definitely advantages to both schools that don't really lend themselves to comparison. I do hate the cold, though. I have this notion that I want to leave CA for a few years, but I'm starting to think I'm crazy to think that.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2007, 08:40:14 AM »
Just like to interject that Yale has reading groups as well.  If there isn't a group available that interests you, you can work with a professor and other students to create your own.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2007, 09:27:56 AM »
Just like to interject that Yale has reading groups as well.  If there isn't a group available that interests you, you can work with a professor and other students to create your own.

I'm sure that the reading groups are equally interesting, but this is a time when the sheer magnitude of the Harvard faculty trumps.  My guess is that there are over twice as many options at Harvard.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
that's why i'm in love with the size of harvard -- lots of potential friends, lots of potential faculty mentors, tons and tons and tons of classes to take.

oh dear.  ???

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »
that's why i'm in love with the size of harvard -- lots of potential friends, lots of potential faculty mentors, tons and tons and tons of classes to take.

oh dear.  ???

Me too.

Again, this wasn't a hard decision for me (as my family is here, my girlfriend is moving here, and I just couldn't imagine living in a place like New Haven at this time in my life) but I've never understood why some people actually seek out smallness.  I think Yale does an incredible job of making you feel unique and desired because they keep their yield rate high enough to let in so few people, but I'm not sure this is a good feeling.  Nerdphanie certainly has embodied this before (not just anyone can get into Yale) but seriously, feeling like a beautiful snowflake was for kindergarten.  There are good reasons to go to Yale and it has things Harvard never will, but when I hear 'small class', I think 'exclusivity for its own sake.'

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
that's why i'm in love with the size of harvard

That's what she said!

Also, my school also has a Pass/Fail for first semester system which I can say saved my chances of getting into a top law school (my gpa would have suffered pretty significantly were it not for that policy), but I do feel well prepared for the rigors of law school and think that I'll be fine immersing myself in a graded environment immediately.  Besides, everyone from HYS gets amazing jobs, regardless of their position.  This helps mitigate the advantages of having a HP/P/LP/F system or something similar like they have at Yale (and Berkeley).
Yale.Law.School.2010

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2007, 01:17:06 PM »
Also, on campus housing at Harvard is atrocious when compared to Stanford.

I can vouch for this
HLS '09