Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?  (Read 8654 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »
i feel like i haven't heard enough of yale's opportunities -- i suppose in that sense i feel that harvard's hustled a bit more with recruitment than has yale, but i've also only just from yale today so really that is a fantastically unfounded statement.

the international thing does matter to me, as i'm not sure i'll be in the States when i grow up -- maybe pakistan, maybe malaysia, maybe england...i really haven't a clue (i've got serious wanderlust). that's a reason for the harvard-love: the prestige-whore in me does love the door-opening-capabilities harvard has, and also there are just so many harvard grads all over the place that networking might be easier on a global scale.

i'm also really terrified of the small class size at yale. i know it's a draw for most people, but i'm just partial to having more classmates and more people around. and to be perfectly candid, the whole emphasis on brilliance at yale scares me -- it creates very high expectations that i'm not sure i can live up to.

You got in, you can definitely live up to the expectations or they wouldn't have accepted you. just be yourself (the person who got into Yale) and you'll be fine!

And the 'Im not sure i'll be in the states when I grow up" bit sounded funny.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2007, 11:48:58 PM »
i feel like i haven't heard enough of yale's opportunities -- i suppose in that sense i feel that harvard's hustled a bit more with recruitment than has yale, but i've also only just from yale today so really that is a fantastically unfounded statement.

the international thing does matter to me, as i'm not sure i'll be in the States when i grow up -- maybe pakistan, maybe malaysia, maybe england...i really haven't a clue (i've got serious wanderlust). that's a reason for the harvard-love: the prestige-whore in me does love the door-opening-capabilities harvard has, and also there are just so many harvard grads all over the place that networking might be easier on a global scale.

i'm also really terrified of the small class size at yale. i know it's a draw for most people, but i'm just partial to having more classmates and more people around. and to be perfectly candid, the whole emphasis on brilliance at yale scares me -- it creates very high expectations that i'm not sure i can live up to.

You definitely have the ability to meet and exceed the brilliance expectations at Yale.  Besides, there would be no lesser of an expectation of you at HLS or SLS.  Prestige aside, HLS, by virtue of its size, does have far more graduates abroad than Yale does.  Then again, Yale has no grades, which is a great advantage.  You won't go wrong with either, but I do hope you end up choosing wherever I go (most likely HLS).
Yale.Law.School.2010

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2007, 11:54:07 PM »
Steve, thanks for the clarification.  Also, can you discuss a little bit about the reading groups?  How do you get in one?  How does it mesh w/ the 1L schedule?  Thanks.

Well the reading groups are optional although almost everyone participates.  A few weeks into the semester you get a list of about 40-45 professors with topics.  I can't seem to find the list but this year (and I assume every year) it had all the big name professors there - Tribe, Fried, Dersh, etc.  You pick six if I remember right in order of preference and get assigned to one based on a lottery (groups are limited to about 10 people for intimacy).  You meet every few weeks outside of class (the group decides on a schedule that works for everyone) to socialize with the prof and discuss the reading (dinner, lunch, or dessert is usually served depending on the time of meeting).  Meetings are either at the school or at the prof's home.

I really liked my reading group - you get to know the prof, its a completely no pressure situation (i.e. if you have a lot of work that week and can't come its not that big of a deal).

There are also upperclass reading groups (for credit) but I don't know much about those.
HLS '09

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 12:23:09 AM »

You got in, you can definitely live up to the expectations or they wouldn't have accepted you. just be yourself (the person who got into Yale) and you'll be fine!

And the 'Im not sure i'll be in the states when I grow up" bit sounded funny.

bad habit of mine; i always forget that i am going to be a Functioning Adult soon and a...dare-i-say-it...grown-up. :)

the reading group thing just sounds phenomenal. as does no grades. can't we just combine both into one super-big fantastic-o uberlawschool?

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »
Do people in the UK rate Harvard over Yale? I imagine if Korean lawyers see Yale as the top institution, English lawyers might, too.  I know Harvard has more recognizability abroad, but I wonder if that's true among people who would actually hire you.
Then again, if you don't like small class size...that's a huge consideration. One of the strikes against Harvard for me is that it has a huge class size, so I can't deny you your preference.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
There are also upperclass reading groups (for credit) but I don't know much about those.

Yeah, so technically 1Ls aren't supposed to be in these but I'm sitting in one now because the professor liked me and thought I'd enjoy it.  It's called theories of violence and we just finished reading some evolutionary biology papers.  It's a blast and the discussion is even better now that there are 2Ls and 3Ls there (the one LLM was a little annoying)  As you can tell, these are often fascinating chances to broaden your education outside of  a pretty traditional legal curriculum into which 1Ls get pigeonholed.

My 1L reading group was definitely one of the highlights of my first semester.  I got along with the professor so well that she's now sponsering my written work this semester and get together once a week to chat.  At the end of the semester she invited all the 2L and 3Ls who had taken it to join us for dinner and to talk about other ways of getting involved and learning more.  My neighbor got to sit in with Duncan Kennedy and talk about the history of CLS (I've got Kennedy now and just think he's incredible).  I think people have incredible experiences.

And lonely, you're not alone (har har) in your thoughts on resources.  Yale is certainly a fine institution, but it simply cannot compete with the incredible breadth, depth, and strength of the faculty and student body here as well as with the larger institution as a whole. 

To anologize: some people enjoyed going to small liberal arts colleges in the middle of nowhere; my brother is currently stuck in Northfield.  Personally, I knew I wanted to go to a big school in a city and that I didn't need someone holding my hand to make sure that I had close relations with faculty.  By the time I came to law school, that was even more true and I think I'd have gone crazy had I ended up in New Haven.  Again, Yale Law is one of the greatest institutions of higher education but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone and it certainly doesn't mean that it's an easy decision between H and Y.  If you are looking for a vibrant and bustling institution in one of the greatest places to study in America, then to me, this is actually not a hard decision.

And nerdphanie, I think your sample is flawed.  When I was choosing last year, I was studying at a British university with a Korean thesis advisor.  He and his wife didn't know Yale had a law school (they thought it was like Princeton and only did PhDs) and my British classmates universally preferred H over Y.  That being said, I think that international prestige has to be the absolute stupidest reason to make this decision (and I had originally counted that against Harvard).

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »
Yale is tied for the most wins in the Ivy League in basketball. That's a huge draw for me.  ;)

I say that jokingly, but that's how the "no grades" argument translates for me. Sure, the first semester is pass/fail, but Honors, Pass, Low Pass, Fail sounds an awful lot like grades to me. Yale has much more to offer than its evaluation system.
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »
H4CS is that generally true of the people in the legal profession as well? I don't plan to work outside the states, so it doesn't affect me, but it's interesting. I do think for someone who knows he/she will be working abroad it would be silly not to consider international prestige at all. Prestige = ability to find a good job in a lot of cases.
Your reading group sounds amazing, btw.

forthefunofit - I think even the first semester being pass/fail is a huge draw, at least for me. That's the adjustment period, and that's when you find friends, and I just think a pass/fail system sounds more conducive to cooperation, even if it only affects the most cutthroat. And H/P/L/F is like ABCD's with no +'s or -'s, which I don't mind at all.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »
For the record, Yale is more like A/B.  Nobody gets Cs at HYS.  There was not a single grade below a B- in Bass's and my CivPro class.  A recent study here showed that on average, there were less than 2 C+s per class per section throughout the 1L year.  I suspect that the vast majority of Yale students never get a Low Pass.

And nerdphanie, I was speaking more of laypeople's opinions, which I think is inherent in the notion of prestige.  Neither of these schools will put you at a disadvantage internationally.  Yale kids will tell you that the smaller size increases demand as firms want at least one Yale grad.  Harvard kids will tell you that the larger class size leads to better connections which trumps everything in the end.  It's probably a wash.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2007, 01:13:26 AM »
have to agree on the pass/fail for first semester being AWE-SOME. my UG has that too -- first sem is totally pass/fail, and it just takes a lot of the edge off. i think that would be nice.

and i think i'm more concerned with international presence over international prestige, if that makes sense? i like knowing that harvard kids could be everywhere; i also like that there's a superfab business school and awesome medical school and everything all associated with one institution, becuse that just adds to the intellectual vibrancy of the campus. but then again, i wonder if that's something i'll actually get to encounter since at H i'll probably be slaving away for grades.

H4CS -- you're doing an awesome job of selling H. is there anything you don't like at H? what's the downside?