Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?  (Read 8961 times)

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is in at HYS? How are you deciding?
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 11:03:21 PM »
holy fishcakes, i can't believe i get to post in this thread. so it's yale or harvard for me (haven't heard from stanford, but i'm not sure i want to go back to california yet anyway). i have a feeling my life will involve a whole lot of pro-con lists in the next few months.

yale: no grades; close professor interaction; awesome for clerkships/academia; gritty (i go to school in baltimore now so new haven won't be bad)

harvard: bigger class size (more people = more happy); large class selection; opportunity for awesome joint degrees; cambridge sounds amazing

is there really such a huge difference in academia/clerkship opportunities between harvard/yale? and is cambridge infinitely superior to new haven? argh, i'm so confused.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »
holy fishcakes, i can't believe i get to post in this thread. so it's yale or harvard for me (haven't heard from stanford, but i'm not sure i want to go back to california yet anyway). i have a feeling my life will involve a whole lot of pro-con lists in the next few months.

yale: no grades; close professor interaction; awesome for clerkships/academia; gritty (i go to school in baltimore now so new haven won't be bad)

harvard: bigger class size (more people = more happy); large class selection; opportunity for awesome joint degrees; cambridge sounds amazing

is there really such a huge difference in academia/clerkship opportunities between harvard/yale? and is cambridge infinitely superior to new haven? argh, i'm so confused.

I'm not sure what the deal is at Yale, but at Harvard you get a faculty advisor from the moment you start 1L, plus there are faculty led reading groups you can join that allow further interaction w/ faculty.  Yale's student-faculty ratio might be unmatched by any other school, but Harvard definitely does a lot to connect you w/ faculty.  Also, HLS's student-faculty is lower than that of Stanford I believe (too lazy to confirm).

EDIT: Double checked on LSAC, turns out I'm mistaken, so scratch that last bit.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 11:21:33 PM »

I'm not sure what the deal is at Yale, but at Harvard you get a faculty advisor from the moment you start 1L, plus there are faculty led reading groups you can join that allow further interaction w/ faculty.  Yale's student-faculty ratio might be unmatched by any other school, but Harvard definitely does a lot to connect you w/ faculty.  Also, HLS's student-faculty is lower than that of Stanford I believe (too lazy to confirm).

Can Bass or H4CS confirm the bolded? The 1L I talked to claimed there wasn't really much advising and it sort of depended on your section. Your section is assigned an adviser, but your interaction with them could be very limited.
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 11:26:30 PM »

Can Bass or H4CS confirm the bolded? The 1L I talked to claimed there wasn't really much advising and it sort of depended on your section. Your section is assigned an adviser, but your interaction with them could be very limited.

Each section gets a "section leader" who is one of the professors in your section and this prof will plan (or help plan) various social events and speakers for the section which he/she will attend (generally with the other professors for the section as well).  Every professor (at least every prof I have had) is willing to go out to lunch and otherwise engage in social discourse.  Around the middle of the first semester you get to pick a faculty advisor (which is probably what Denny Crane was referring to) from a pool of about 8-12 profs (they vary by section).

P.S.  The reading groups are awesome.
HLS '09

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 11:31:22 PM »
Steve, thanks for the clarification.  Also, can you discuss a little bit about the reading groups?  How do you get in one?  How does it mesh w/ the 1L schedule?  Thanks.
Yale.Law.School.2010

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »
avocado, I saw your LSN! How exciting! I think between Harvard and Yale I'm leaning towards Yale. The small class size really does appeal to me, as does the grading system. Pretty hard to resist really.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 11:33:24 PM »
i believe -- and i was a bit loopy while this was all happening -- that during my Y call today there was some mention of someone contacting me in the next week regarding my interests so i can be matched up with faculty advisors in the same area. it sounds like they've got the faculty attention thing down.

i guess the biggest draw to yale is the whole no-grades thing -- it's just a load off my shoulders. it's also nice to see that the workload doesn't seem too oppressive (as some mentioned in the thread), because i'd like to think i'd have time for lots of extracurriculars, etc. but it's so SMALL. 180 people? i could be facebook friends with the whole school in a few months! (yeah, i'm a nerd)

i'm scared of the grades at harvard, but the opportunities! and cambridge! and...the way it sounds! har-vard. harrr-varrrd. and also i prefer crimson to blue. i don't know why i get the impression that harvard is sort of this international intersection of brilliance -- that there are always professors and scholars and bigtime people fraternizing at harvard, planning to change the world. yale to me just seems smaller...more reclusive, i suppose? and not actually out into the world. i don't know why. and the reading groups thing just sounds amazing.

i'm so confused.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:53 PM »
i believe -- and i was a bit loopy while this was all happening -- that during my Y call today there was some mention of someone contacting me in the next week regarding my interests so i can be matched up with faculty advisors in the same area. it sounds like they've got the faculty attention thing down.

i guess the biggest draw to yale is the whole no-grades thing -- it's just a load off my shoulders. it's also nice to see that the workload doesn't seem too oppressive (as some mentioned in the thread), because i'd like to think i'd have time for lots of extracurriculars, etc. but it's so SMALL. 180 people? i could be facebook friends with the whole school in a few months! (yeah, i'm a nerd)

i'm scared of the grades at harvard, but the opportunities! and cambridge! and...the way it sounds! har-vard. harrr-varrrd. and also i prefer crimson to blue. i don't know why i get the impression that harvard is sort of this international intersection of brilliance -- that there are always professors and scholars and bigtime people fraternizing at harvard, planning to change the world. yale to me just seems smaller...more reclusive, i suppose? and not actually out into the world. i don't know why. and the reading groups thing just sounds amazing.

i'm so confused.

yale

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »
I don't think Yale affords less opportunities than Harvard. Yes, if you want to work outside the states, Harvard is a better name (though a family friend who works at a big law firm in Korea says the people he works with consider Yale better. Don't know why that would've come up, but oh well). I've heard amazing things about how brillliant the people are at Yale. Then again, Yale has been much more forthcoming with the recruitment than Harvard has.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
i feel like i haven't heard enough of yale's opportunities -- i suppose in that sense i feel that harvard's hustled a bit more with recruitment than has yale, but i've also only just from yale today so really that is a fantastically unfounded statement.

the international thing does matter to me, as i'm not sure i'll be in the States when i grow up -- maybe pakistan, maybe malaysia, maybe england...i really haven't a clue (i've got serious wanderlust). that's a reason for the harvard-love: the prestige-whore in me does love the door-opening-capabilities harvard has, and also there are just so many harvard grads all over the place that networking might be easier on a global scale.

i'm also really terrified of the small class size at yale. i know it's a draw for most people, but i'm just partial to having more classmates and more people around. and to be perfectly candid, the whole emphasis on brilliance at yale scares me -- it creates very high expectations that i'm not sure i can live up to.