Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Mason vs. Tulane vs. Emory  (Read 919 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
George Mason vs. Tulane vs. Emory
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:27 PM »
Ok, well, my cycle isn't over, but if it ended today I'd have a tough decision to make.

I've got acceptances to George Mason and Tulane. The Tulane decision comes with a $15k/year scholarship. I'd like to work in NYC, and I don't know if it is for me, but I'd LIKE to have the option to go BIGLAW.

Now, to complicate things also, I've got a >50% shot at Emory on chiashu, and since I had a lesser percentage for Mason and got in, I'm going to presume for this thread that I should remain optimistic.

All three schools are, as far as I know, pretty regional. Which one would you choose if you were me?
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: George Mason vs. Tulane vs. Emory
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:05:52 AM »
Without factoring in money, for New York it's Emory > Tulane > Mason.  There's a significant gap each time.

I didn't think Emory did that well in regards to NY... do NYC firms even come to OCI in Atlanta? I think Mason gets a few at OCI (probably because those firms are in the area to recruit at other schools anyway...)
VIP.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:01:18 AM »
I'd heard varying things- some saying Tulane has better NYC placement and some saying Emory.  I'd reccomend wait and see if Fordham accepts you on the second evaluation. And the money from SHU is nothing to sneeze at either.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
I'd heard varying things- some saying Tulane has better NYC placement and some saying Emory.  I'd reccomend wait and see if Fordham accepts you on the second evaluation. And the money from SHU is nothing to sneeze at either.

This was all hypothetical. I'm going to make my decision at the end of the cycle. I was just hoping to get some data on those schools, just in case.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
Where does everyone go to find out who recruits at OCI? I can't seem to find it on NALP, and not all schools publish that info.
VIP.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
Besides what is stated here, I personally would pick Emory, but that is mainly because I LOVE Atlanta. Although it seems like Emory might place a little better in NYC, if I were you, I would be sure to visit and see which one "feels right." It's best to be a place where you will be happy.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »
I would go with Emory, then George Mason, then Tulane but that's just me
UMiami c/o 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
I think it depends on what you are looking for. NOLA is still rebuilding, but the city has a fun, young vibe. It's definitely one of the most culturally unique cities in America and I think the students really enjoy their time there, with good opportunities all over the East Coast and SW. GMU is just steps away from DC, and a couple hours from Philly, NYC, Boston... great location for gov't and biglaw jobs. Emory seems like a great school if you are interested in corporate or biglaw or the east coast. I think you should just attend their ASWs and see which one gives you the strongest vibe. Pay close attention to the students who attend the event for each law school-- while not all of them will end up there, these could be your fellow 1Ls and future colleagues. Can you see yourself working alongside them for the next 3 years, too? You are in a great position of having to choose among these three; I think going down to visit will help the most. Good luck!
Vanderbilt 2010

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
Pay close attention to the students who attend the event for each law school-- while not all of them will end up there, these could be your fellow 1Ls and future colleagues. Can you see yourself working alongside them for the next 3 years, too?

Good point...

Na

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:52:01 PM »
Where does everyone go to find out who recruits at OCI? I can't seem to find it on NALP, and not all schools publish that info.

FYI...

Go to 'advanced search' on www.nalpdirectory.com, then do the following:

1. Highlight the school you want in the 'campus interviews' section
2. Select the state you want in 'state/province/territory'
3. Pick the size of the firms you're looking for in 'firm range size'

The only annoying thing is you have to go back and do a search for every range of firms (700+ lawyers, 501-700 lawyers, etc), but otherwise this is really useful to see who's showing up on campus.

HTH.