Law School Discussion

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: How can we lift up the race?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:14:51 PM »
Also, I think black academics are in a great position to create policy solutions - or at least brainstorm - but are more concerned with discussing racism etc. I think realizing that white people will not be at the center, and at best would be on the outskirts, of any successful venture for black America, is a necessary condition for any positive movement.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »
Honest Answer:

I remember reading an article by Derrick Bell in ug. I believe the article was entitles - Racial Realism. His thesis was that blacks serve a particular purpose in America and would always remain a permanent underclass. We should, therefore, find some happiness and dignity knowing we would never be equal to whites, at least economically, and that we should be content with that, finding other ways to fulfill our lives.

He might be right. He's probably right. But, it's hard to just accept that.

I don't believe that at all. If the human race survives long enough, racism (at least in its current incarnation) will not exist. In fact, I think its requisite if we hope to survive millenia to come.

I think whatever strategy that should be employed should not, even remotely, concentrate on blacks above the age of 21 though. Just concentrate on the future generation making sure they don't repeat the our mistakes (although us specifically are exceptions).

I'm reminded of an episode of The Boondocks, The Return of the King, where MLK was not killed, but was in a coma, and he comes out of it. He sees that black people (the youth, esp.) have squandered and trivialized his efforts (specifically, rap videos, popular culture, etc.) and tells them to "stop being n1ggers and start being humans." Sounds like a start to me.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »
this may sound trite but i think when black people stop worrying about how "black people" are going to overcome and just do their best to grow as a person and contribute postively to their own part of the universe...and constantly strive to educate themselves and evolve as they grow old (i.e. shouldn't still be making the same mistakes at 40 that you made at 30 etc.) take care of your and yours...because when all the b.s and rhetoric and caucuses and study groups are done...thats really all anyone can do anyway

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »
Honest Answer:

I remember reading an article by Derrick Bell in ug. I believe the article was entitles - Racial Realism. His thesis was that blacks serve a particular purpose in America and would always remain a permanent underclass. We should, therefore, find some happiness and dignity knowing we would never be equal to whites, at least economically, and that we should be content with that, finding other ways to fulfill our lives.

I don't believe that at all. If the human race survives long enough, racism (at least in its current incarnation) will not exist. In fact, I think its requisite if we hope to survive millenia to come.

That simply does not matter. The prior (current) rules created a black underclass. Changing those rules will just reinforce the previous rules unless active steps are taken to rectify the consequences of those old rules.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 07:33:36 PM »
Honest Answer:

That simply does not matter. The prior (current) rules created a black underclass. Changing those rules will just reinforce the previous rules unless active steps are taken to rectify the consequences of those old rules.

Of course, I speaking about long distances into the future. If you mean the immediate future, then it's not rules that have to change, but the people who make the rules. Also, more needs to be done to make people realize that programs such as affirmative action can be good if implemented properly.

If there is a large (note the emphasis) disparity between the percentage of one group in a population and the percentage of those people working in a particular field (esp. ones that require higher education), then a system like AA is a fairly decent try as a remedy. The rules pre 1950s and 60s (and even up until the late 70s) held minorities back. Now is the time to propel them forward instead of trying to play a game of catch-up when all parties are running at constant speed (at best).

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »
spend less time on the internet and more time in the community

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »
Do kids really have widespread access to the internet like that?  I'm skeptical although maybe having a cool myspace type account would be nice.  Of course myspace is of the devil...

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
spend less time on the internet and more time in the community

doing what in the community? And in what community? And isn't the internet a new community that has the capacity to reach more people, esp. since more and more kids have access to it in schools? Maybe that's something we should do. Try to build e-mentoring networks.

I'm not pessimistic like Bell. I'm not saying he's technically incorrect; I just choose not to be a defeatist. It's a faith thing.

Don't engage trolls.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 11:43:56 PM »
I'm sure kids are using them I just question whether access is widely available.  As an example most of the kids in the mentorship program we're in have email accounts/access to the computer, but it is *very* limited to the extent that we always have to call because 9 out of 10 times they haven't been on the net in the weeks since we've last seen them.