Law School Discussion

« on: January 25, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »

A.

• View Profile
Re: How can we lift up the race?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »
You planning to overthrow the government?  Make me the finance minister.  Alternatively, head of the secret police.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »
How can black people rise up and overcome?

CORRECT:
1. Well, can they overcome? 
2. Reparations
3. There's a complex answer there.
4. Stayin' alive.
5. Stop cutting each other's throats.

INCORRECT:
1. Get out and vote.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/108476/chappelle_show_i_know_black_people/

Sorry, had to be done. :)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »
Great thread. I like to uplift by bringing down other people see The White Rappers Show

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »

CORRECT:
2. Reparations
4. Stayin' alive.

INCORRECT:
1. Get out and vote.

That's old as dirt now.

Doesn't make it any less funny.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:54:10 PM »

CORRECT:
2. Reparations
4. Stayin' alive.

INCORRECT:
1. Get out and vote.

That's old as dirt now.

Doesn't make it any less funny.

Do you have anything productive to add?

Are you kidding? Like the other two replies were serious. Get over yourself and laugh a little. In fact, that's my answer. Inject more humor into everyday life.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:04:54 PM »
What do you think can be done?  I think most of us are pretty cynical.  IMO, it actually will take something on the order of overthrowing the government to lift up black people on a large scale.  We've gone terribly wrong since the 50s and 60s, and I don't think there is any easily articulable way to get back on track, if it is possible at all.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »
There's often talk on BLSD about the ways many people in the media who claim to be helping black folks are, in fact, ineffectual or only in it for themselves.

What are some GOOD ways to help black people on a large scale? Is it possible? In this thread, we brainstorm and discuss lifting up the race!

I don't know that anything can be done on a large scale honestly--or rather I don't know that many comprehensive solutions exit.  It might take small scale projects.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:53 PM »

Are you kidding? Like the other two replies were serious. Get over yourself and laugh a little. In fact, that's my answer. Inject more humor into everyday life.

I'm not kidding. I was asking a serious question. But I guess folks would rather hate or #%@! than be productive.

Fine, here's a real reply. What do you mean by "large scale"? Across class boundaries? Gender boundaries? Sexual preference boundaries? I don't think you can just lump black people into a race and say, "OK, here's a group of people, how do we help them all?" It requires a more granular approach. Different subgroups within the large group of black people face different, and altogether unique (when compared with, say, white people), obstacles that they should try to overcome.

What do you mean by "lifting up"? Economically? Socially? Mentally (mental health)? All of these? More? Again, there are large sociopoliticio-economic considerations for each category.

Of course, I know you probably mean all of this. My point is that there is no "Theory of Everything" approach here. Too many variables are in play. So, indeed, the answer from the Chapelle's Show about it having a "complex answer" is correct, but needs to be expanded upon. I would suggest a divide and conquer approach and tackle each issue separately. Suggestions on where to begin?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »
Honest Answer:

I remember reading an article by Derrick Bell in ug. I believe the article was entitles - Racial Realism. His thesis was that blacks serve a particular purpose in America and would always remain a permanent underclass. We should, therefore, find some happiness and dignity knowing we would never be equal to whites, at least economically, and that we should be content with that, finding other ways to fulfill our lives.

He might be right. He's probably right. But, it's hard to just accept that.

I think whatever strategy that should be employed should not, even remotely, concentrate on blacks above the age of 21 though. Just concentrate on the future generation making sure they don't repeat the our mistakes (although us specifically are exceptions).