Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers-Newark  (Read 4466 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers-Newark
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
Yeah, I think I should go with SHU and not for some fleeting prestige.  I thought this thread was needed because there were so many others that really pumped up Rutgers-Newark using no logic or numbers at all, just random bs.  That certaintly didn't line up with my research so far, and it seems like most people are in agreement on my conclusions.  I would welcome a dissenting opinion from a Rutgers-Newark student or someone who wants to go there.

Still a long way to go, though, so hopefully I'll get into better schools and it won't come down to this.

Thanks for the very insightful post; unfortunately, my "better school" options don't like they're happening so this is the decision essentially for my law school aspirations: your evidence does seem to indicate that Seton Hall might be the choice...it definitely can't bode well for Rutgers that its rankings has dropped.  However, despite this, Rutgers has recently upped his LSAT range (this will be reflected next year, I guess); I received a notice from them about this.  Nevertheless, the bar passage rate at RU-Newark is pretty discouraging.  Either way, it look like the NYC opportunity from these place is really limited to the cream of the cream of the crop and either clerkship or NJ practice in the $60-100k at best range is what one can aim for otherwise; the career opportunities seem to be comparable despite all the recent info. on the schools.

I don't know what THE differentiating factor is.  People at Seton say, "yeah I would have gone to Rutgers" and people at Rutgers say, "Yeah I would have gone to Seton"
Thoughts?

lavender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:26 PM »

thanks for all the stats. in at both schools but still leaning towards rutgers. one, rutgers does have the name recognition advantage and for someone who wants to go to big law firms, name recognition matters. majority of the partners and in-house attorneys that i work with all voted for rutgers over seton hall. these are the people who don't really look at rankings or current law school trends when they look at resumes. they look at grades, experience, and extra curriculars (law review, journal, etc)..and name recognition. two, if hiring managers place both rutgers and seton hall in the same tier anyway, i would rather spend less on tuition.

I plan to attend ASDs for both, maybe SH will win me over then

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 08:06:26 AM »

thanks for all the stats. in at both schools but still leaning towards rutgers. one, rutgers does have the name recognition advantage and for someone who wants to go to big law firms, name recognition matters. majority of the partners and in-house attorneys that i work with all voted for rutgers over seton hall. these are the people who don't really look at rankings or current law school trends when they look at resumes. they look at grades, experience, and extra curriculars (law review, journal, etc)..and name recognition. two, if hiring managers place both rutgers and seton hall in the same tier anyway, i would rather spend less on tuition.

I plan to attend ASDs for both, maybe SH will win me over then

What are the dates for accepted students' day for these schools?

lavender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 09:54:36 AM »
March 29 for Rutgers. I think March 30 for SH..i'll check the letter and confirm.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »
Seton Hall has a much better employment rate at graduation, doesn't it?

Honestly though, either way, if you work hard, you can't go wrong.
VIP.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
Seton Hall has a much better employment rate at graduation, doesn't it?

Honestly though, either way, if you work hard, you can't go wrong.

Yeah that employment rate is way way inflated though because almost half of Seton Hall graduates do clerkship in NJ upon graduation.

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
Both schools are on the same level, despite rankings.  If you do well at either of them you will go far with your legal career.  Rutgers-Camden is supposedly not the greatest location.  Neither is Newark for that matter, but it just depends on where you want to work.  Philly or New York.  Rutgers-Newark has a good reputation amongst New York firms.  I am not familiar with SH, so take my outlook for what it is, which is probably worthless.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010