Law School Discussion

Boalt - "Passed initial review"

Re: Boalt - "Passed initial review"
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 06:28:34 PM »
If you got the email odds of acceptance or waitlist are 1 in 8.

Ouch.

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »
Steve is right...Dean Tom will accept about 500 people each year on his own, and then send what I assume are a few hundred "borderline" applications to their committee.  At the point the committee will select a couple hundred more for admission, and probably many more for waitlisting. 

I would think if one applied before middle of November, and did NOT receive this e-mail, you might be looking at a rejection.

That breaks my heart. They are my top choice, I even say that in my PS, and my numbers are at their median. WTF.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 06:30:04 PM »
Beats the odds for those who didn't get it, lol.

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
Since I did not receive the e-mail, I am assuming that they accepted me and simply haven't informed me yet.

Jets

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
Steve is right...Dean Tom will accept about 500 people each year on his own, and then send what I assume are a few hundred "borderline" applications to their committee.  At the point the committee will select a couple hundred more for admission, and probably many more for waitlisting. 

I would think if one applied before middle of November, and did NOT receive this e-mail, you might be looking at a rejection.

That breaks my heart. They are my top choice, I even say that in my PS, and my numbers are at their median. WTF.

It could be on the way at a later time, or they could've already decided to accept you. Don't give up yet!

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »

Not sure what you mean...

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »

I sympathize...My top choice too. I guess my GPA wasn't good enough, among other things.

Jets

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »

Not sure what you mean...

I was responding to the comment about the "1 in 8" chance for those who passed initial review. But, again, I'm sure there's another batch or two of these to be sent out, and I'm also sure there are some accepted people who've yet to hear.

sk

• Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »
Based on the above link, it seems that if you don't get that e-mail and you don't get in then you are dinged. I'm basing this on the fact that he explains that he accepts 550 people, and that the committee accepts another 200 out of 1600 and WL/rejects the other. Doesn't seem like he decides on the WL. So if no e-mail in a day or two...

I just read the interview... So only about 200 out of the 1500 applicants sent to the committee are accepted. And if you're put on the waitlist, which is given to another 200 or so, only about 30 people get in.

I'm grateful for the email, but those numbers aren't very reassuring...  :-\

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »

I sympathize...My top choice too. I guess my GPA wasn't good enough, among other things.

Groundhog I thought you got the email? Anyway I am officially in tears. I hope somehow these speculations are wrong and we beat the odds.