Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Emory FAST, what does this mean for other schools?  (Read 3244 times)

UcsbEng

• View Profile
In at Emory FAST, what does this mean for other schools?
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
Ok,
So I have about a 3.1 GPA, and a 165 on the LSAT.  I am a chemical engineering major from a school ranked very well for my major.  Soft factors are good, worked all the way through school, sometimes full time to pay for a good amount of school.  1 year as a paralegal and the attorney I work for allows me a LOT of freedom doing more than most with similar positions.  Great letters of rec.
The calculators put me at between 30-50% chance of getting into Emory.

I applied to law schools in mid to early December, but was still waiting on one of my letters of rec for awhile.  Applications were complete in the first week of January.  Emory sent me the e-mail saying it was complete on January 5.

So the other day I get an acceptance to Emory dated January 11 (!), but no money...

My question, do you guys think this is a good sign?  Is this at all indicative of how my application will be received by other schools?  A few people have told me they think that's a really good sign, but I thought I'd ask the LSD community.

Thanks!

kellykellygg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In at Emory FAST, what does this mean for other schools?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:42:39 PM »
I think it's a really good sign. Also, Emory doesn't offer money unless you fill out the seperate scholarship application, which is on the school's website.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:04:05 AM »
I don't think Emory has begun giving out money yet.  There's one person in LSN, but I think he/she accidentally put him/herself down for the wrong cycle.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:41:38 PM »
I have no idea, I'm wondering the same thing. My GPA is .2 higher than yours, LSAT is one point lower and I went complete Jan 16, got my acceptance today, postmarked Jan 24. I wonder if this bodes well for us for other schools or if it's just Emory  ???

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:08 PM »
congrats. no one knows. where else are you really hoping for? scholarship money will be distributed over time and no i dont think you need to fill out the special app for merit money, thats only for the full ride woodruff scholarship.
Emory '09

UcsbEng

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »
money would be nice.  What I was really hoping for is that this means I have a better shot than I thought at my reach schools, BC, BU, GW, and UCLA  :)

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:31:12 AM »
congrats. no one knows. where else are you really hoping for? scholarship money will be distributed over time and no i dont think you need to fill out the special app for merit money, thats only for the full ride woodruff scholarship.

There is a special application for the Woodruff and there is a special application for scholarships in general.  The deadlines for submitting both of these have passed (Jan 15 and Feb 1 respectively).  As for merit money, it would seem that this will be handled with FAFSA like it usually is.
Emory '10

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 08:44:36 AM »
A decision at Emory really doesn't have any bearing at any other school.  Maybe you'll get quick decisions at other schools, maybe not.  Maybe you got in quick at Emory because your hometown is the same as the adcom looking at your app.  Really you're comparing apples to oranges.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 02:15:31 AM »

There is a special application for the Woodruff and there is a special application for scholarships in general.  The deadlines for submitting both of these have passed (Jan 15 and Feb 1 respectively).  As for merit money, it would seem that this will be handled with FAFSA like it usually is.

hmm i dont remember that but im sure there is. fyi a friend of mine was offered 10k a year in late summer long after he committed and he didnt even pressure them or leverage offers. very strange, made me think the scholarship process is perhaps a little informal.
Emory '09

LomeAC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:41:26 PM »
In at Emory.. relatively fast too. ;D ;D
:-)