Law School Discussion

I found this to be odd...

I found this to be odd...
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
I participated in the U of Miami online chat yesterday (yes, I was summoned) and I asked a question regarding the FAFSA. Like many LSD'ers I worked full-time through 2006 so my husband and I's income is significantly higher than what it will be this year (think double, give or take a few thousand).

I asked them what can you do about that discrepency and if you can submit an addenda or something to the financial aid office if your earnings this year do not accurately report what you would be making in 2007 and the financial aid guy basically told me your SOL and that no consideration would be taken for until you refile in 2007 (and in my case, I will be working about half of the year full time before I start school, so again, it will not be an accurate predictor)...Frankly, it really turned me off from even considering the school.

I just thought I'd share this. I'm not looking for free handouts or anything but I think your need for aid substantially increases when half of your income is missing.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: I found this to be odd...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:26:44 PM »
Oh barf.  Hopefully that was just a student volunteer and not someone "in the know".

suge

Re: I found this to be odd...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
Sounds like I may face a similar situation. In a letter sent that discussed a scholarship offer, I was told that the amount and award was contingent on my FAFSA displaying a financial need.

I currently work full time and plan on doing so until I begin school at which point I will quit. I'm not sure what the outcome will be on my FAFSA (if the amount of money I have earned with display financial need or not).

Was the person you posed the question to from the financial aid office? If not, I would never accept a "no" from someone who doesn't have the ability to say "yes".

If the school I am referring to retracts the scholarship offer, I do plan on writing a letter to the financial aid office to further explain my situation.

Good Luck!