Law School Discussion

Personal Reasons for Choosing NYU/CLS?

Re: Personal Reasons for Choosing NYU/CLS?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 05:05:46 AM »
oh so glad i can tag this now! :)

////

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Thanks Demingh! Great Post. Any NYU students out there willing to share as well?

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »
  • I am definitely quite left leaning politically, though I am very fond of purely ecomomic/market solutions whenever possible
  • I currently live in the Village, and my wife refuses to move to the UWS at least for a year, and possibly never (she has that power, since she will largely be supporting me during the next 3 years)
  • I am interested in BigLaw, leaning toward IP (non-patent), but this may change with exposure (currently none)
  • I have always been collegial (sharing my papers / editing others) in UG, and am worried about the rumored cutthroat atmosphere at CLS
  • I'll have been out of school 4 years when 1L starts - if that is even relevant
  • I may want to practice in either London or Boston (instead/after NYC)

Anyone out there commute to CLS via A-train to 125th - I did this for the LSAT and it was fast, but I'm interested in any problems etc.

I'll take my crack at these.

1: Columbia is an extremely left-leaning school, but it has a lot more ideological diversity among both students and faculty than NYU does (speaking from personal experience). In my view, this is a plus. It's good to know and interact with people you disagree with. There aren't many conservatives at Columbia, but there are enough to make the discussions and the intellectual/political atmosphere very interesting.

2. I know a number of people who commute from the Village or other points downtown. It's very simple. If you already live there, you know what a quick ride it is. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. If you want to do IP, you should go to Columbia. The IP program at Columbia is in a whole different league than that at NYU. It's actually one of the few areas where there is such a clear advantage to one school over the other. For big law firms in general, there is a placement edge to Columbia, but both schools are great for that.

4. Columbia isn't cutthroat in my experience. I felt like all of my fellow students were very willing to work together and study together, despite the fact that we are technically competing for a limited number of high grades. The great thing about Columbia (and I would assume NYU), is that because we all have good career prospects, there isn't too much pressure to be competitive against each other. I've heard that the really cutthroat places are schools with lower rankings where only a small number of students get desirable jobs.

5. I had been out two years. There are a lot of people like that here. Probably irrelevant.

6. If you want to practice in London, slight advantage to Columbia. (better known overseas) But very slight. You will be able to get a good job in either of those cities from both Columbia and NYU.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »
3. If you want to do IP, you should go to Columbia. The IP program at Columbia is in a whole different league than that at NYU. It's actually one of the few areas where there is such a clear advantage to one school over the other. For big law firms in general, there is a placement edge to Columbia, but both schools are great for that.

Good to know! Thanks Southy.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
This job placement information is well-intended, but it's meaningless to anyone with grades near the average in their class. The median NYU student (allegedly) has no trouble landing a 125k job if he/she wants it. I assume most of the self-selecting LSD community who have already been accepted to NYU and/or CLS will finish law school with grades at least near the average no matter where they go.

As someone who lived in Manhattan for a year, here's why I didn't even apply to CLS after being accepted to NYU:

- As beautiful as CLS is, there are some sketchy neighborhoods a few blocks away.

- I like the thought of bigger law schools, because only a fraction of the students will not be socially awkward, and I'd appreciate all the drinking buddies I can find.

- I plan on going out every weekend, and the Village has everything a 20-something guy could ever ask for.

- I don't plan on studying in my room; libraries always work better for me. Even if CLS gave me an enormous palace to live in, I wouldn't use it to study.

- I believe the type of person who would choose CLS over NYU is doing so at least partially due to prestige and name recognition, while the type of person who would choose NYU over CLS is doing so at least partially due to partying in the Village. I'm sure there are many CLS students who are amazingly fun and nice, such as the CLS admits on this thread, but I believe NYU will have more of them.

- In the end, while staring at the CLS application forms, I asked myself, "Will I feel inferior when I write 'NYU School of Law' on my CV instead of 'Columbia Law School'?" No.

If NYU rejected me, CLS would've been my second choice outside of HYS. As noted by others, you can't go wrong academically with either. Attend the ASWs and then go with your gut.