Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 2671 times)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
My stepdad is a bastard, so my mom had to stealthly copy his last year's 1040 and mail it to me (I live like 12 or 13 miles from her). It's going to be a female dog getting his tax info. this year.

It's so screwed up. My parents have never given me a dime, except for the occassional $100 or $200 my mom slips me every five or six months. I mean, what do I say in the "explanation" part of the financial aid apps? My stepdad is a prick?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

h2xblive

My stepdad is a bastard, so my mom had to stealthly copy his last year's 1040 and mail it to me (I live like 12 or 13 miles from her). It's going to be a female dog getting his tax info. this year.

It's so screwed up. My parents have never given me a dime, except for the occassional $100 or $200 my mom slips me every five or six months. I mean, what do I say in the "explanation" part of the financial aid apps? My stepdad is a prick?

I have always felt the request for detailed financial information was unfair.  Not like I know what a fair way to give out financial aid would be, but still...

h2xblive

Nope.  I start this fall.

What made you think I was a 1L?

I don't know. I guess because I never see you talking about law school apps.

"Look closer"  :P

I have asked a few law school application questions, but I haven't really mentioned specific law schools I've applied to.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
And I haven't spent too much time on it, but from what I've looked at, I get the impression that I have to provide info for my Dad's wife, too! WTF?

This may or may not be the case. Check with each school for their policy. I know Michigan at least is pretty clear about divorced parents and stepparents and when you have to provide info, other schools you may have to dig to find out just what they want.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
Introducing, for your pleasure, the man who designed the Need Access form...
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I am sick of all the M*thaf*ckin' questions on m*therf*ckin' needaccess forms!

Seriously, they are worse than the longest of 1040s...

My divorced parents were so enthusiastic about me gathering all of their sensitive financial data into one neat little spot.

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Needaccess choices for parents of student:

a)natural parents married
b)father - non-custodial
c)mother - non-custodial

-----------------------

Who has custody of you when you have been financially independent for 4 years?
Why does it insist on asking about 2006 and 2007 "summers" of people who are out of college and working?
Why does it want to know what my wife majored in?

This thing has such a huge direct from ugrad bias it is obnoxious!!!

sentimentalhygienist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT we vent about financial aid hoops and help each other jump through them
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »
Why does it insist on asking about 2006 and 2007 "summers" of people who are out of college and working?
Why does it want to know what my wife majored in?

This thing has such a huge direct from ugrad bias it is obnoxious!!!

Agreed, I hate the summer thing.  And I just got to the part where it wants to know the total amount of scholarships and grants that you had as an undergrad!  Scholarships I remember, but screwed if I have the records of my undergrad grants still.  Time to harass the old alma mater.  Somehow I suspect they're not going to be cooperative with info.

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT we vent about financial aid hoops and help each other jump through them
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »
Seriously - This year was the first year I had to file long format 1040 taxes with itemized deductions (via TaxAct, but still) and Needaccess was worse than both of these combined!

It really is  >:( evil >:(, and could really, really benefit from a little branch logic like say "Did you attend college in 2006-2007" - if "no," don't make me fill in field after field about my F*ckin summer income, my wife's F*ckin summer income, the number of weeks I plan to work in the "summer"!!!!!

Okay, just glad that is done now. I'll calm down.